Persistent coolant leak

dkleind0110

Reaction score
I just replaced my heater hoses to the heater core… added some ball valves for increased ac efficiency. I had this same leak from the hose going down to the head that sprays up before replacing these hoses, I also replaced the 1/2npt to 5/8 nipple fitting as the spray seemed to go up the hose as pictured just in case. Really hoping I don’t have to drain the system again. What do you guys think, does this look like it’s dripping down from the hose then getting sprayed up? Or does that look like it’s coming from the fitting I just put in. I tightened the hose clamp for now.

Attachments

• EB3E7D84-6803-4D78-938D-7A4DDE7B87E6.jpeg
    EB3E7D84-6803-4D78-938D-7A4DDE7B87E6.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 41CEFFD3-6F1F-43D1-9CA7-52D18A3D269D.jpeg
    41CEFFD3-6F1F-43D1-9CA7-52D18A3D269D.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 20

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's a tough one. I don't think that a leak would or even could blow that far back up the heater hose. The radiator fan blows the air toward the driver's side. It's also odd that you replaced both heater hoses and still have the same leak. Check around that area for other leaks that may happen to get blown back on your heater hoses before you take anything back apart.

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a tough leak, to find, it was the main hose at the thermostat housing. Found it using a inspection camera.

dkleind0110

Reaction score
That's a tough one. I don't think that a leak would or even could blow that far back up the heater hose. The radiator fan blows the air toward the driver's side. It's also odd that you replaced both heater hoses and still have the same leak. Check around that area for other leaks that may happen to get blown back on your heater hoses before you take anything back apart.
I looked around and I really don’t think there’s anything further forward that can get that radiator hose. Also the saturation of the coolant on the fitting makes me think that it’s either that or the hose…. Where else do you think it could leak in that area?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the clamp get tightened too much and cut the hose? Been there, done that.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've chased a few coolant leaks in my time, found out eventually that the cat's pajamas is ultraviolet dye and a black light. Add dye to system, run for a couple days(or less if its a good leak) and then go hunting after dark with the black light.
I found out I was leaking coolant slowly out of the rear area of my driver's headgasket of all places.

As for that leak it doesn't look like it's coming from the fitting to me, since the thread tape has a drip on it vs. being all saturated. I'm guessing you hosed it down since doing the work and this is new coolant mess?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online