Replacing water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well flushing is good....for cooling system, bad for water pump and pocket book...LOL-cuss

Looks like something has gone n lodged in the pump seal and now it's leaking quite badly.

I can get new for 120-140 dollars...or Rock Auto shows 35-56 bucks...not sure if any are NEW or all reman....the one I can get is NEW not a reman...includes gasket and damn well better for that kinda coin!

So....whats the scoop....anyone know if the ones on ROCK AUTO are new or reman?

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i picked one up from auto zone for 61.99 today for mine, they say its new not rebuilt

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just a tip. I once had a water pump gasket leak after installing a reman pump. I took it back off and there was a little burr on the sealing surface on the back side of the pump. I removed it with a file and no more leak. After that, I ran a file across the back of all that I installed, even reusing an old water pump. Just a minute or so of time, might save alot of headache later.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no...as many of you guys know, I am not too fond of water pump problems hahaha. Now I can laugh about it. Anyways, just make sure your water pump has a lifetime warranty. Many brands do have lifetime warranty and can benefit you later on down the road.....just as long as it doesn't have to be replaced once a year.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so looks like NAPA in Oroville WA has a NEW pump for about 70 bucks...local stealership quoted of 210 bucks...and Tstat 39 buck...FRIG....

On a side note, I dug out my filter today, as yesterday I was given a chunck of angle iron to mount it with....HERE is rough draft with filter head and NUMBERS accordingly

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've posted about this several times, but since no one mentioned it, it bears posting again. Not all water pumps are created equal. First off, the ones that come with a lifetime warranty, have that for a reason. They are CHEAP. Coolant, and your labor is NOT. They are only going to replace the pump, not the afternoons time that you lost, or the $75 in new antifreeze every time you need to change it. In my opinion, a water pump is something you will replace maybe twice on your engine if you keep it 20-30 years. Saving money on one is only smart if your shopping quality. If your buying based on price alone, you will pay MORE in the long run, and of that you can be sure. Look for pumps that have machined surfaces for the bolt heads, an impeller that is pressed all the way on the shaft, that comes with the bolts and the gaskets, and if at all possible, have a recognized brand name on them. Chinazone and Advance poverty are not the best places to buy.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
May the buyer beware is what we need to remember... One gets what they pay for. I'm scared off by the lifetime warrantys for good reason. What matters to me is replacing something once no matter what the warranty is. A lifetime warranty is what... You get to replace something many times at no cost for the part... Of is it for as long as they are doing business under that name.... Fomoco will not let you down. But look closely at what you buying too. Look for signs that its truely a ford part in the ford box.. That takes the con out of the consumer...

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I've posted about this several times, but since no one mentioned it, it bears posting again. Not all water pumps are created equal. First off, the ones that come with a lifetime warranty, have that for a reason. They are CHEAP. Coolant, and your labor is NOT. They are only going to replace the pump, not the afternoons time that you lost, or the $75 in new antifreeze every time you need to change it. In my opinion, a water pump is something you will replace maybe twice on your engine if you keep it 20-30 years. Saving money on one is only smart if your shopping quality. If your buying based on price alone, you will pay MORE in the long run, and of that you can be sure. Look for pumps that have machined surfaces for the bolt heads, an impeller that is pressed all the way on the shaft, that comes with the bolts and the gaskets, and if at all possible, have a recognized brand name on them. Chinazone and Advance poverty are not the best places to buy.

Word ;Sweet

I have three of these trucks, and I pulled cheap a$$ leakers off of two of them. Bearings go bad and then the fan starts to wobble. The third truck had the original IH pump on it and is still in good shape. No way I would put a $25 water pump on my trucks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at this point I do like having a quality unit. It gives peace of mind. On the other hand, sometimes ya gotta bite the cheap beast and hope ya don't get bit back. Hoping you can get through for a while with out teeth marks on ones arm or **** for making the cheap choice is nerve racking, however price does not assure you of quality....failures occur in both premium priced items and cheap ones. I personally have been bitten by both, and it seems that the cheap beast bite....hurts less...than the premium prices grip like that of a pitt bull on a mail carriers **** ....just saying....

Roll the dice....snake eyes or box cars...never know whats coming.

I would hope that the Napa product is qood, on both sides of the fence...but for 60 bucks less...before taxes....I may take a chance of greener grass in the US!

Damn fan is stuck on but good...hate that friggen thing...I HATE IT!...just makes me want my electrics that much more!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A stuck fan nut can be a tuff one to loosen. Mine require a 24 and a 36 inch breaker bar ro loosen. I never want to see my fan loosening and eating the radiator because I didn't really tighten the hell out of it... Just a dab of insurance I use blue loctite on the threads... I sleep fine at nite too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online