Coolant leak.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Depending on how much you heated it, replacement may be needed anyways.

Just pull the radiator, then shroud, then you can take the fan and water pump out in one piece.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I can get a motorcraft for $97 or one from the dealership for $114 And I have no idea if there's a difference or not.

jada64

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I bought one that was OEM from uhaul on ebay. Make sure it includes the 2 bolts that are a different length that require thread sealant.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The top 2 and bottom 2 bolts need sealant on them but to be sure. The top 2 bolts are a special length. Once the old pump is off the engine install the original top 2 bolts and see how dep they are. Then compare the new pump and new bolts. Make sure they are the same length thru the water pump no matter what pump you have. The new pump could easily have a thicker casting and longer bolts. but the amount they stick thru the pump case must be the same. Also on the back of the thin metal plate behind the water pump is a flat spot welded nut for these 4 bolts. They can strip id you use too much torque on them. I find its best to glue the gasket to the water pump with 3M Super Weatherstrip Cement. Its the yellow stuff. Its a contact type glue. Spread it on both the gasket and pump. Let it set up. Apply the gasket and hope like hell you don't have to move it cause once it sticks its there forever. then I use a quality rtv thin flim on the other side of the gasket to the engine. That way it comes off eay the next time the pump goes bad and it acts as a better seal to a gasket problem. Nobody wants to do a water pump twice because a bit of gasket or crap was not cleaned off the gasket surfaces. So a little rtv insurance is nice in this area.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good information, but the pump is still on at this point. I think I'll have to replace the fan clutch too at this point.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to replace the fan clutch......but I still need to get the stupid thing off so I can get the pulley off the old water pump. Any suggestions? Debating cutting the old fan clutch off but not sure if that's feasible.

Reaction score
Yes I know it's left hand threaded, and I have used two separate fan clutch tools for the purpose, to no avail.

One is a plate steel one that goes around the bolts, and it wouldn't hold against any torque. The other is a long bar with adjustable jaws that also grab around the pulley bolts, and it also wont hold against any torque. These two tools were rented from the local oriellys, as Napa didn't have a tool.

When we do get the tool to hold, we can't put enough force on either the 2" long wrench or the 2" long clutch fan tool.

Maybe I need to hit the nut with some heat.

Use those two tools together. The one that holds around the bolts is meant to keep it from spinning while you use the 'fork' one to do the wrenching. I used the same rental tools from O'Reillys when I did the job a few months back. The kit I rented had multiple forks, the idea being to choose the one that fit best. I remember I used the largest one, but the fit was sloppy on the nut, so I wrapped the prongs with a layer or two of duct tape to take up the slack. It was a little tricky to use both at the same time, but it got the job done. IIRC, I had to use a pipe on the end of the wrench for leverage and quite possibly whacked that with a mallet.

Mike

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, but I was using both a pulley holding tool, and a large wrench. Both the pulley holding tool, and the wrench have two foot long handles, and I was turning one while my friend held the other in place.

The nut has not budged.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Are you turning the nut the correct direction. That large nut is a left hand thread. Just wondering why you are having some issues. You say your changing the pump and the fan clutch. No need to save the water pup bearing or the fan nut so use a large hammer and chisel on the nut edge. The shock will loosen the nut but be sure you have something protecting the radiater from the loose fan. Damaging the radiater really changes the scope of the job.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am turning the nut clock wise, or towards the drivers side when standing in front of and facing the nose of the truck. That should be correct for loosening a left handed nut.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am turning the nut clock wise, or towards the drivers side when standing in front of and facing the nose of the truck. That should be correct for loosening a left handed nut.
Yes that's the correct direction...

One thing you've mentioned ...hitting the wrench with a hammer while friend holds the pulley tool. This in all likelyhood will not work.

In order for IMPACT to work in this situation that PULLEY tool must rest on something solid like frame etc where the force transmitted through hitting wrench with hammer is not absorbed by your buddies hands etc.

The Lisle impact tool works great if you have the AIR and a kick ass AIR hammer to work it.

If all else fails, measure out the pulley bolts. get a 1/4" thick bar bolt it to two bolts and have it long enough to reach frame and then use hammer method. LOL

It cannot be that hard to get off something's amiss in all this, I've done several of these and not had this level of issue.

What are you using for HEAT? A nice oxy/acet torch would be best IMHO.

Good luck

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oxygen acetlylene would work, but I have propane. It still should have been enough to release loctite if that were an issue.

The only reason I haven't rested the tool on frame is the darn thing keeps coming free if it isn't held just so.

Probably have to go the hammer and chisel route. Find a way to support the pulley holder on the frame, maybe pull two pulley bolts and put in some longer ones, and put the tool behind the bolt heads to keep it from slipping off.

What size and thread are they?

jada64

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I had to back those bolts out about a quarter inch to get a good hold on it with that tool. Also when you do this, line the bolts up so the heads are in the right direction for the fork to securely grip them. That was how I managed to do it.

I am talking about the 4 bolts on the fan clutch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online