considering Dually Swap

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I have ben kicking around the idea of putting a dually rearend in my truck lately and i think im gonna go ahead with it.

I have a line on a couple prospects, also could i use a rearend from a chevy or dodge instead? or do i have to use the Ford one? im just looking for ideas/comments

thanks

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its easy to do.get a dually rear end and bolt it in,and slap some fenders or or something on it.

but do you want it to be a true dually or not?a true duallie rear end is something like 6 inches wider than a cab/chassis duallie rear end.wich you could use as well and it will suck the tires further into the wheel wells than a true duallie rear end.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh and if you're gonna use a true duallie rear end and youre not afraid to do a couple minutes of welding to move the spring perches in.find one of them E350 limo/party buses.most of them had dana 70HDs in them.the width of the rear springs is about 2 1/2 inches wider than a dullie pickup but the rear end is the same length.this is how i got the dana70hd in my 95.these had 4.10s for gears.but gears and stuff for them are pretty cheap on ebay.i picked up my locker off ebay for around 250.00.they also use the same brakes and u-joint an f250-f350 uses.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cab and chassis dually rear won't fit with duals on it. The C&C have narrower frames behind the cab. C&Cs have more of a standardized rear frame rail than pick-ups do.
Travis..

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Chevy/Dodge axle swap - I'd go with Chevy as they have that monster 14-bolt, unless the Dodge has a D80 rear. One thing to consider tho is the VSS in the factory rear axle, do you have one? It's for the RABS, and I'm pretty sure an '87 truck will have RABS, the Chevys tho have their VSS in the tailshaft housing of the transmission, so it's very likely that after you swap any non-Sterling axle in the RABS won't work...

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Are you going for the look? load rating? or what?

FWIW, Ford de-rates the SRW rear ends to match the exact load rating of 2 stock-size 10/E tires. IMO, the SRW rear end can carry just as much weight as the DRW - perhaps even more - as the axle tubes are shorter.

Where I'm going with this is, I put 19.5" wheels and rubber on the rear of my E350. The wheels are 4500# rated, and the tires are 4850# rated. I'm confident that I can now safely load it up as much as the dually E350 cutaway. That cost me $1200CDN total and only the labour of swapping them on. You would drop that much coin for four 16" wheels and new tires - nevermind the dually axle itself or dually adapters.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
On the Chevy/Dodge axle swap - I'd go with Chevy as they have that monster 14-bolt, unless the Dodge has a D80 rear. One thing to consider tho is the VSS in the factory rear axle, do you have one? It's for the RABS, and I'm pretty sure an '87 truck will have RABS, the Chevys tho have their VSS in the tailshaft housing of the transmission, so it's very likely that after you swap any non-Sterling axle in the RABS won't work...

Well the reason i mentioned that is that i found a 1994 Chevy 3500 flatbed on CL for $200 with a rebuilt rearend, but no engine or trans. or ive also found a few F-Superdutys being parted out but i dont know if i want that low of a gear in the the rear

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just buy some dually spacers form Arrowcraft, bolt them on and bolt on the budd rims, no need to mess with a whole rear end swap.
It's been discussed before, adapters like that are good for the front but for the rear they're generally not a good idea as they move wheels load plane further out and pretty much right right on top of the outer bearing (instead of right between the outer and inner like it's from the factory) - this works fine for just towing a trailer, but if the truck gets loaded down heavily on regular basis it may cause premature wear in the outer bearing. There are of course those who've been running adapters in the rear for years and years and have no issues whatsoever, but I'd personally do it right the first time and be done with it.

Are you going for the look? load rating? or what?

FWIW, Ford de-rates the SRW rear ends to match the exact load rating of 2 stock-size 10/E tires. IMO, the SRW rear end can carry just as much weight as the DRW - perhaps even more - as the axle tubes are shorter.

Where I'm going with this is, I put 19.5" wheels and rubber on the rear of my E350. The wheels are 4500# rated, and the tires are 4850# rated. I'm confident that I can now safely load it up as much as the dually E350 cutaway. That cost me $1200CDN total and only the labour of swapping them on. You would drop that much coin for four 16" wheels and new tires - nevermind the dually axle itself or dually adapters.
Well, of course the SRW rear can carry the same load as the DRW, it's the same axle :D The issue with the factory SRW configuration is, like you said, the wheels and tires - so did you put single 19.5s in your E350? That's pretty interesting setup, do you have any pictures?

the super duty rears definately wont fit.
True, the frame of those is narrower than the pickup-body frame, so it's likely the inboard tires will run on the leaf springs. The 14-bolt may be alright tho, depending on how far apart the in board wheels sit they may clear the springs, it's likely spring perches will need to be moved tho.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually thinking of goin g the other way, from DRW to SRW. I do not have a need to the duel set-up and thinking about changing over.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you keep your current axle then just bolt up some SRW wheels on it you'll need some fender flares as the tires will be sticking out quite a bit. Or you can always go for the HyRail look and run just inboard rear wheels with a SRW bed :D

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Well, of course the SRW rear can carry the same load as the DRW, it's the same axle The issue with the factory SRW configuration is, like you said, the wheels and tires - so did you put single 19.5s in your E350? That's pretty interesting setup, do you have any pictures?

Yes, they are SRW 19.5's. Pic here:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=149

They are the Vision 81's from Rickson. Tires are 245/70R19.5... about a 33" tire.

About the only situation I feel a real DRW is advantageous is with a heavy slide-in camper.