Collision Restoration for Wanda the Miner

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So let me start this out with some back story... I haven't owned my truck for that long compared to other here, and the guy I bought her from put the cheapest POS tires imagineable (owner of a 3 generation family tire shop had never even heard of the brand) just to sell her. So I've been having issues with even when it's dry outside occasionally I'll slip a little bit, but nothing major. That is, until Friday afternoon. I was driving on the freeway and traffic was bad. So as we were slowing down I had already downshifted from 5th to 4th. But soon as I let off the clutch while downshifting from 4th to 3rd, I started slipping like I never had on these things. So I put the clutch back in about half way and starting pumping the brakes slightly but it was too late. I went into the shoulder in the freeway but for some reason some,other guy was in there and I rear ended him. So now I have the lovely chore of fixing my truck to first,make her road worthy again, and then work on making her Purdy again. Damages are as follows: hood is toast, radiator, condenser, intercooler, headlights, fan clutch, water pump, leaf spring shackles, bumper, front trim crossmember, and grill. So due to the fact that I'm dirt poor [emoji24] ... Until I get the insurance money (hopefully a lot) I gotta do this on the cheap. But, at the same time this is the perfect opportunity to do some fun stuff with it! [emoji1]

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To start with... Here is a picture of when it first happened....
You must be registered for see images attach

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once we got it to the shop, we started removing broken stuff. First step was cutting the bumper off with the sawzall. The drivers side frame had bent. But luckily it really only bent where the bumper mounts on... So with a 3" solid piece of round stock steel and a six-year, we were able to bend it back almost perfect.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next step was to bend the top crossmember back straight. You can see in the first picture how it was bent inward and would make it darn near impossible to get the radiator, condenser, and fan clutch out. To straighten it, we used a hole in the middle of it and attached a ratchet strap to the crossmember and the other end to the skid steer bucket. Then just slow ratcheted until it was straight. Redneck, but it worked! Not perfectly straight, but good enough for now.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We pulled the radiator and laughed at how much the fan messed it up!

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how it sits as of now... Gonna pressure wash her and give her a good was and buff for when the insurance appraiser comes out [emoji12]

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how it sits as of now... Gonna pressure wash her and give her a good was and buff for when the insurance appraiser comes out [emoji12]

We also pulled the water pump because it was shot.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow.... what did you hit? those tires lost traction just by down shifting?

good luck with getting it back together.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some guy that was parked on the shoulder of the freeway for some Frekin reason. Ya they did. Craziest thing. They're mud tires... So when it rains on the asphalt it's already a nightmare. But I had never had any slipping issues like THIS when it was dry.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished with the clay bar over the entire body. Before and after pics are gonna be awesome

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get tyres siped for better wet traction...well worth 100 bucks for 4 tyres IMHO

SORRY hear bout yer custom alteration by crunchy fender inc.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya once I get the repairs done and the insurance money I'm definitely replacing these piece of crap tires. Gonna go with the good Ol' Cooper AT3's.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So progress has been made. Essentialy I'm stuck as far as repairs until I get some parts in. But, we started giving her a complete detail and so far the results are awesome. I use this truck daily on horse ranches and for me welding business so she sees a lot of hard work. The body is very straight except for some dings and scratches. But after pressure washing, clay bar, lots of scrubbing, and @Thewespaul do I bc some magic with my drill on the wheels... She's cleaning up really good!

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a before and after of the wheels. The cleaner one still needs to be taken off so we can get around the lugs and stuff....

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the first picture you can see the paint wasn't terrible... But it definitely showed it's age and was very dull. The second picture is just after one quick pass with the buffer and some compound. Haven't even hit her with wax or polish yet and it looks 100 times better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online