COLD weather vehicle prep thread

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, my old 86 F250 would usually start at -18C or 0F using glowplugs only. For winter I would do all the usual maintenance required - oil and filter changes etc. If at home I would have the trcuck plugged in and on a timer for warm ups. Any colder than -20C I tend not to venture out unless I have to. I tried to use the truck when it was down to around -40C last winter and got absolutely nowhere and gave up.
Thx

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone might have posted this, what about a small generator in the bed.
Big enough to run the block heater or battery charger, etc.
Thats if your way out there away from it all.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone might have posted this, what about a small generator in the bed.
Big enough to run the block heater or battery charger, etc.
Thats if your way out there away from it all.

thats a good thing to take if you are in a remote area or very limited contact with other travelers.;Sweet

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Nothing special for me, other than blocking off the grill, and putting some floor rug cut outs to keep the snow/salt and crap off the trucks floor, and out of the little cracks on the sides, where that lip goes over the flooring. Water, mud and salt runs down in there, and rots the floor out.

And also, for those who don't already have 'em, MUDFLAPS! Help alot!! They keep slush, snow and salt off the rockers, cab corners, and rear box corners. Make sure your mudflaps are as long as possible!

Heres my winter floor rugs
You must be registered for see images attach

And mudflaps on my F150.
You must be registered for see images attach

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
My winter prep consists of, A) verify glow plug operation, replace as needed B) fresh 0W40 C) test batts, replace if weak D) check block heater operation E) Install winter tires. I really don't do anything special or carry anything extra. I usually try to make sure my booster cables stay in the truck, but thats about it.
With my 6.9 it stayed plugged in colder than -15C, as if I didn't I ran out of battery, but it only ran a single group 31, same with my cummins below -20, again only 1 batt. My PSD will start at -40 without being plugged in, but it does have one other step, and that is warranty the napa starter as needed, on #4 under warranty in 2.5 years... LOL

What kinda 0w-40 are you using? A synthetic im sure..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online