COLD weather vehicle prep thread

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been done before I'm sure and have seen it.

Thought I'd start anew and see what comes.

Ya'll's cold weather prep for vehicles...this is the vehicles prep and what you have along with you in it too AKA New coolant (engine) and some candles (cab/survival)

For me I'll start this with...

Truck prep...

• cleaned cooling system new coolant, hoses and corresponding parts...
  • belts checked / replaced as needed..keep old as spares!
  • glowplugs checked for operation, replace BERU only as required....!!!!!!
  • all diff/trans/tcase/engine fluids check/replaced as needed
  • brakes fully inspected, bleed system (prevent freeing from moisture contamination) checked park brake cables lubed where/when can, replace worn broken parts
  • check electrolyte level of batteries/ test batteries with load tester clean terminals and wire ends
  • add battery blankets, and fender mounted charger/s
  • check block heater cord plug/repair / replace as needed...does it make a noise when plugged in...sizzle LOL as per previous thread
  • switch out summer washer fluid with winter fluid, blow out nozzles!
  • check/replace wiper blades
  • thoroughly check steering and associated mounting hardware
  • grease entire truck/again...I do this every oil change/service
  • repack front wheel bearings/ (lightly) hubs for 4wd
  • check air filter
  • check tyres, give a good visual inspection looking for belt separation, cracking of carcass tread depth and condition, air pressure, DON"T FORGET SPARE!
  • check/replace fuel filter/ pack spare!
  • check alt charge rate and terminals
  • lube hood release
  • ALWAYS HAVE TOOL KIT/JUMPER CABLES AND NEEDED SPECIAL GEAR..tyre plug kit, air pump etc
  • PACK heat/diesel 911 or similar product
  • 2L gear lube per requirements of truck
  • 2L ATF for new fuel filter + more if you have an auto!
  • 2L Pwr Str fluid
  • 1 can either :hail emergency use!
  • 2L engine oil
  • 1L brake fluid
  • 8L coolant
  • spare bulbs, headlights, signals, backup, dash etc (if you have accessory lighting spare bulbs for those too)
  • spare pwr str high pressure line
  • spare return line couple feet
  • spare belts
  • make sure spare fuses for all locations
  • spare/old wiper blade
  • spare tyre valve stems and cores and caps!
  • spare lug nuts...8 MINIMUM...never know
  • inspect exhaust for leaks
  • quick cab/box mount inspection
  • I like to take DIELECTRIC grease and grease the headlight/signal/tail/reverse light connections...keeps out moisture!
  • shovel/windshield scraper
  • check winch wiring/lubes/cable spool out/in/clutch release/lock
  • recovery gear/ cables/ tow ropes/ tree straps/ snatch straps/ load tie downs/ rope etc,

I'm looking for tyre chains for all four tyres ASAP. Must fit 255x85x16

Now for survival....IN CAB.....in case stranded! USUAL ITEMS....long trips may be more specialized...

• ALWAYS FIRST AID KIT. well stocked
  • several 8HR candles,
  • a small survival stove...and fuel..usually a simple can stove with a gel fuel
  • chicken noodle soup mix cup a soup or what have you
  • power bars or similar
  • 3 flashlights LED preferred, spare batteries ONE a HEAD LIGHT for yer head
  • large sheet of cardboard folded up...lay on under truck etc...
  • fluids, 2-3 L of water...don't care if it freezes...can unthaw if need be
  • emergency blankets/ usually 2
  • some times sleeping bag/s
  • asprin/tylenol/benedryl
  • BRIGHT FLAGGING TAPE...Mark ARIEL/ANTENNA if stranded! LOTS N LOTS of TAPE!
  • fire starter of various types and materials
  • toque/scarf/balaclava
  • good gloves, a few pairs...work type and ski type and MITTS...NOTHING BEATS MITTS to keep hands warm
  • hand foot warmer pads you can buy...thermo reactant style
  • KNIFE/multi tool
I'll add to my list as I remember....

As I am a SAR volunteer, my gear is quite extensive that I have and carry, both on person and ready to go; so, as such I may just do an inventory of my turn out gear for ****'s giggles.

For instance...this list is of whats on my person...99% of time read pockets and belt acc packs I mean all the time!;Sweet

1 carabiner knife..connects to pant belt loop and chain to wallet! (wallet has a cuff key/emergency tool knife) magnifying glass LOL
2 multi tools, one gerber one leatherman...
1 Wenger Swiss Army knife quite a large one!
1 5.11 lock blade knife tanto/plus serated
2 LED flashlights 1-1xAAA 1-2xAAA
2 crescent wrenches
1 tactical pen/with a Fischer Space pen refill inside writes anywhere in any weather including a personal test left out at -35C for 25minutes
1 normal pen/ball point
3 felt pens
1 knife sharpener
1 flint/steel fire starter
1 flameless survival butane lighter
1 folded roll of black tape
1 compass
1 SHARKIE PEN by Cold Steel knives...:sly Legal in Canada
2 note pads/ONE SAR inclusive
1 Casio watch with altimeter/barometric sensor/thermometer

Sometimes I personally pack more..LOL but I cannot remember what at this time.

My SAR turn out is ridiculous...and often the topic of much discussions after a callout or at training...as some members do not pack their gear to training....My motto..

Firemen don't train in flip flops n thongs:eek:...thus I train with all my gear!LOL

God knows and everyone whom knows me if we could pack a fire arm in Canada..I would...and I'd be packing BIG and small an lots n lots of ammo!:sly

But I digress..this is supposed to be about trucks winter prep...and survival gear for winter

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
We have it real hard down here in Houston. Today was in the upper 80's! Burr!

Cant wait to move back to the NW....

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was 65 here. I had to come home and get a jacket.

No extension cord? No ether? Don't you guys with the electro-diesels carry those?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
riotwarrior, good god man.i think your about as bad as Gary lol.
all i travel with is a cell phone.i keep the truck up to par year round,so winter months don't phase it a bit.
i learned the hard way about making sure you have the DK red bottle of 911 in the toolbox though.
still haven't used nor even tested the block heater yet,as iv never had more than 3 second cold start even down around 0 degree's.iv never had a gas engine start anywhere near as good as this idi diesel does with it's gp system.
looks like your traveling way out past civilization with your list,so that would make sense in that case.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I will test it when I get home I have just plugged it in an didn't feel a difference in starting. But im sure that you need fully functioning gp system which I have now not last year.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
riotwarrior, good god man.i think your about as bad as Gary lol.
all i travel with is a cell phone.i keep the truck up to par year round,so winter months don't phase it a bit.
i learned the hard way about making sure you have the DK red bottle of 911 in the toolbox though.
still haven't used nor even tested the block heater yet,as iv never had more than 3 second cold start even down around 0 degree's.iv never had a gas engine start anywhere near as good as this idi diesel does with it's gp system.
looks like your traveling way out past civilization with your list,so that would make sense in that case.

Thanks for the compliment.....I've always taken lots of spare stuff...JIC...and I even have been known to use it to FIX others rigs while on the road...I don't have a decent diesel fuel jerry can for taking extra fue that's in the works....and I'll get a gas one too. :D gotta be prepared

As for the Wenger...the Victorinox was removed from my possesion Dec27 2002 in a house break in while my father and I where out for breakfast! Wife was working ....SAD...but eh...the Wenger was picked up at a pawn shop pennies on the dollar!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
To test block heater , test for resistance threw the plug. No resistance means bad heater or broken cord. Always check the cords before plugging them in for the first time. Chaffed wires can send it up in flames.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
One item that has been really nice to have in the winter is a BernzOmatic mapp gas torch: http://www.lowes.com/pd_387417-13877-332477_0__?productId=3647074

They work excellent for quickly unthawing ice packed latches, clevises, shackles, tools, lug nuts and other things. They will also help start a fire quickly in the bitter cold. That said I wouldn't use it to unthaw a gelled fuel line or anything Be smart with them you don't want to light your truck on fire :D

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I will test it when I get home I have just plugged it in an didn't feel a difference in starting. But im sure that you need fully functioning gp system which I have now not last year.

in San Diego it will never be cold enough to need the block heater if the GP's are working correctly. With a properly maintained and functioning truck it can start in the single digit temps. I changed all the fluids to synthetic and had the coolant set to protect down to -55 when I went to Alaska, I wanted to see if it would start when really cold. I let it sit at work, unplugged for 13 hrs at -35, went to start it, cycled the GP's 2 times and cranked it over, it started but was a little angry for a few seconds but I know it will start when cold. For my Cold weather pack, I put a 1000w pan heater on the oil pan, a 500w pan heater on the manual trans and a 1.5A auto trickle charges on the batteries all plugged into a 4 way box( did not use my block heater ) with a single cord to the box to plug it all in. I regularly saw temps at -40 to -55 for several months and it would start just fine.