COLD weather vehicle prep thread

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
in San Diego it will never be cold enough to need the block heater if the GP's are working correctly. With a properly maintained and functioning truck it can start in the single digit temps. I changed all the fluids to synthetic and had the coolant set to protect down to -55 when I went to Alaska, I wanted to see if it would start when really cold. I let it sit at work, unplugged for 13 hrs at -35, went to start it, cycled the GP's 2 times and cranked it over, it started but was a little angry for a few seconds but I know it will start when cold. For my Cold weather pack, I put a 1000w pan heater on the oil pan, a 500w pan heater on the manual trans and a 1.5A auto trickle charges on the batteries all plugged into a 4 way box( did not use my block heater ) with a single cord to the box to plug it all in. I regularly saw temps at -40 to -55 for several months and it would start just fine.

That's good testing right there. I have only seen -4degF and had good success starting w/o the block heater in that temp range. That being said, the engine sure is happier with the heater in the thick of the cold snaps. I use a timer and usually let it run for 2hrs before I'm ready to start it. It's nice having cabin heat that much faster when its that cold out.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good testing right there. I have only seen -4degF and had good success starting w/o the block heater in that temp range. That being said, the engine sure is happier with the heater in the thick of the cold snaps. I use a timer and usually let it run for 2hrs before I'm ready to start it. It's nice having cabin heat that much faster when its that cold out.

I used a timmer and plugged it in all winter, the test was just to see how long it could sit and still start. I didn't use the block heater because of the oil pan heater, it would keep the oil and rest of the engine warm enough to start with in 1 revolution every time. The trickle charger will keep the batteries topped off and from freezing also.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How cold does it get in cawston?

Not as cold as where you are! LOL but...I like to be prepared...remember I gotta respond to SAR callouts and have to have this POS ride running right...I love this truck...that's POS Perfectly Omnipotent Supertruck!

Oh in a real answer....I'd say -15 to - 25 Celsius at the worst on occasion -10 would be normal...cold spell

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol well 25 is pretty dang chilly. I always enjoy my relatives in van complaing about minus five.....it also amazes me how they close everything with a sprinkle of snow

Btw I prefer your definition on the word pos lol.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last winter in the great metropolis of Hixon BC, we saw temperatures of around -38C ! I am not too sure on the accuracy of the outside thermometers at those temperatures, but rest assured it was around -40C. I worked in the Beaufort for a few years back in the 1980's and it can be just as cold in Hixon as I found it in the Beaufort Sea.

Thx

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya know I had rather hoped people would add in their cold weather prep, for those of us whom live where it does/can get good and cold...hot areas don't have the same issues us Northern folk have...and I'm certain that the PG guys have it worse more frequently than we do here where I am...same with the AB folks or those out towards Cranbrook etc...Now you southern BC...the island and vancouver have it a little easier...but DON"T FORGET WINTER TYRES!!!!!!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Before I go out to plow snow I usually clean and Rain-X all of my glass. It helps to shed the salt and snow that accumulates on the windows. I keep intending to look for an anti fog product for the inside as well. A dry pair of clothes and boots are always stocked for winter use as well. I had to ford about a meter's deep worth of water in the early 90's to rescue 3 elderly women who got caught in a hurricane and tidal flooding. This was in November, not too cold but cold enough. I had to get out in the water to hook their car up. They were shocked to see me taking my boots and blue jeans off before entering the water. I went in the water with long johns and socks on and changed into my dry pants and boots when I was done. That day taught me to keep extra dry clothes, a towel and recovery equipment at all times.

It was pretty cool in the end, the state capital wound up hearing about this and I was invited to Trenton to meet the Governor for going out of my way in a time of emergency, I was 19 years old. I try to be prepped for anything after that learning experience.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last winter in the great metropolis of Hixon BC, we saw temperatures of around -38C ! I am not too sure on the accuracy of the outside thermometers at those temperatures, but rest assured it was around -40C. I worked in the Beaufort for a few years back in the 1980's and it can be just as cold in Hixon as I found it in the Beaufort Sea.

Thx

Speaking of Hixon i still have yet to check out the falls
Ya, there was a couple weeks in January i think that we were seeing -38 to -40. At the time i was a baggage boy at yxs and sheesh by the time the plane was loaded and ready to leave i had an ice beard.

As far as winter goes, my thing is clean battery terminals for good connections, put my winter tires on and top washer fluid with that -40 stuff and keep a jug behind the seat. I always keep a 177 piece socket/wrench set (stanley from crappy tire) behind the seat to (but thats a summer thing to). I always leave a square aluminum shovel in the box also. And put cardboard between the grille and rad.
But when i go sledding i always have an extra pair of clothes, dry food (snack bars and whatnot)

O and an extension cord to plug the truck in.....at home i use a timer

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know I had rather hoped people would add in their cold weather prep, for those of us whom live where it does/can get good and cold...hot areas don't have the same issues us Northern folk have...and I'm certain that the PG guys have it worse more frequently than we do here where I am...same with the AB folks or those out towards Cranbrook etc...Now you southern BC...the island and vancouver have it a little easier...but DON"T FORGET WINTER TYRES!!!!!!

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, was just pointing out that a properly maintained truck can and will start and run in extreamly cold conditions. with a working GP system theas trucks will start at -15 or warmer with out plugging in the block heater, and by putting on an oil pan heater and not using the block heater the entire engine benifits from the heat with no chance of a cracked block at the area of the block heater.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, was just pointing out that a properly maintained truck can and will start and run in extreamly cold conditions. with a working GP system theas trucks will start at -15 or warmer with out plugging in the block heater, and by putting on an oil pan heater and not using the block heater the entire engine benifits from the heat with no chance of a cracked block at the area of the block heater.

NO NO...you didn't that's good info and thanks...I was just wondering what others packed...did etc...in preperation for winter driving ....that's all

Al

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Spare belts and rad hoses, oil, gallon of coolant, washer fluid, tire and jack, tool kit, fuel filter and filter wrench (quart of atf to prime it), can of either, change of clothes and a well greased truck.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My winter prep consists of, A) verify glow plug operation, replace as needed B) fresh 0W40 C) test batts, replace if weak D) check block heater operation E) Install winter tires. I really don't do anything special or carry anything extra. I usually try to make sure my booster cables stay in the truck, but thats about it.
With my 6.9 it stayed plugged in colder than -15C, as if I didn't I ran out of battery, but it only ran a single group 31, same with my cummins below -20, again only 1 batt. My PSD will start at -40 without being plugged in, but it does have one other step, and that is warranty the napa starter as needed, on #4 under warranty in 2.5 years... LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online