Cold start

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My high idle works if I step on the throttle before starting. And after warm up it shuts off. I'm not sure if the timing advance is working.
Anyway. It starts and runs fine without activating the high idle. Is there a good reason to use the high idle for warmup?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My high idle works if I step on the throttle before starting. And after warm up it shuts off. I'm not sure if the timing advance is working.
Anyway. It starts and runs fine without activating the high idle. Is there a good reason to use the high idle for warmup
Yes, especially in the cold season higher idle= more oil pressure which is needed when cold

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engines oil pressure and volume is going to be fine in the cold whether high idle is activated or not. It’s to prevent stalling and get to operating temp.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High idle helps it warm up faster and get some heat in the cylinders to prevent cylinder washing. You should step on the throttle every time you cold start anyways I always push half to full throttle depending on temperature when cold starting as instructions can be found on the visor stepping on the throttle will also engage high idle as soon as it starts and gains rpm let off though. If the high idle is working the advance should be too you can test it by unplugging the advance wire on the injection pump when the high idle is active (advance wire is furthest single wire back sticking up out the side of the injection pump) the engine should sound more clattery with it plugged in and less clattery with it unplugged but its tied into the high idle so that needs to be on. The high idle and advance are deactivated when the engine hits roughly 100 degrees. The high idle can also be wired to a toggle switch to manually control it thats what I do on my trucks and on cold days I will leave it on high idle the entire time I let it warm up or if I leave it running in the cold weather.