Coil over springs on a obs idi ?

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want to get fancy with a TTB you can build a swing steer set up. This would be the equivalent of a cross over steer set up for a solid axle.

You must be registered for see images attach

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the goal is coil springs, one could copy the 1/2 ton design. Use oem coil spring buckets and coils. Radius arms would not be terribly difficult to fabricate, but a 2wd f250 or half ton radius arms might be worth starting with.

Someone on this site did that. I couldn't find the pics, but he had the pics. I think the only thing you would really want to change is the coils. The 351 under the Broncos weighs much less than the diesel. That being said, new coils would be cheap and you could get progressive coils. It wouldn't be a bad set up, maybe beef up the trailing arms a little.

James Duff has nice stuff but it's expensive. Here is his $800 trailing arm set up:

You must be registered for see images

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow the link boys, follow the link hahaha

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They mention in that link as well as someone in a previous post mentioned all f250's had the dana 50 ttb up front. That is not true. The standard 4x4 frontend for a f250 was the dana 44 ttb. The dana 50 was only standard issue on a extended cab f250. The dana 50 was a optional frontend on a regular cab f250 if it was special ordered that way.

All f350's had the dana 50 ttb as the standard frontend until 1985.5. After that, all f350's got the dana 60 straight axle as standard issue.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to do this would be an 05+ d60 swap. YES, the bolt pattern is different and they are unit bearings, BUT HAVE YOU SEEN THE BRAKES?! Holy God. After the swap of stock parts, there are brackets made for a true 4-link and coilovers if ya want

Bronco air? Has a d60 kit that attached the coil mounts to the leaf perches of the 85-97 d60. You then drill a couple holes in the frame for the radius arms.

The d50 coilover swap is weird. Unless you are more geared towards using the full design of a coilover setup, like desert stuff or blowing up curbs, its kind of a waste but looks neat. But if you want to keep it it will be unique and am waiting to see it in a diesel magazine!

Best bang fer the buck is an 05+ d60 with matching 10.5 out back with the V-codes. I think somewhere around 08? They said f-it and made all d60's the "super 60" with the axle C's large enough to fit 1550 joints and awesome turn radius, not just the "wideboy" f450 stuff

If I wasn't destined for portal boxes on the Centurion, I'd do a super 60 swap. Also RYD makes bolt on coil mounts... SD steering box swaps in too. Gain all the perks of the new trucks, while keeping the reliability of the OBS :)

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They mention in that link as well as someone in a previous post mentioned all f250's had the dana 50 ttb up front. That is not true. The standard 4x4 frontend for a f250 was the dana 44 ttb. The dana 50 was only standard issue on a extended cab f250. The dana 50 was a optional frontend on a regular cab f250 if it was special ordered that way.

All f350's had the dana 50 ttb as the standard frontend until 1985.5. After that, all f350's got the dana 60 straight axle as standard issue.

I have seen the very rare and Elusive 84 crew cab that had a Dana 60 up front. Not for certain that it left the factory that way, but it did appear as such. It does become somewhat tiring trying to explain the rest of the potential optioning for axles with so much misinformation out there it's always good to see the truth being spread as much as possible, thanks franklin2

As I said in a previous post on the coil spring 05 + dana 60, having one sitting in my yard right now I can say with full experience it is not as cheap as the previous options I listed if you already have a good working Dana 50. And there are very few people who are cheaper than me. I did my whole coil sprung super duty axle swap for less than $1,000, but amazingly the dana 50 that I already had didn't cost me anything.

I agree that in lots of scenarios a coil spring super duty swap is an excellent idea and I love the one that Ive done, but it doesn't make sense to most people who just want something like a slightly better turning radius.

Edit- for the record, the steering gear box only bolts up in terms of actual bolting. I had to custom make high pressure lines to supply it. Fortunately I have pretty good Plumbing skills and was able to find the correct compression fitting to make it at home but for someone who doesn't have those skills, having a custom line made would not be a $30 part. I would be glad to help anyone interested in doing the swap with actual details on what it really takes to get one in an obs at home

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online