Coil over springs on a obs idi ?

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been toying with an idea in my head but have not seen it proformed coil over springs any old idi.

Does it require a lot of modifications?

Would it be cost effective for hauling/towing/just pure work?

Turbo or n/a I'll add since more throw a turbo on there trucks,being as I have a pure stock n/a and have access to a donor truck for experiment use didn't want to spend the coin on something if it would not be cost effective n needed alot do modifications.

P.s thank you to all who answer.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean coil springs, or coilovers? A coilover is like on a Honda or motorcycle, it puts the shock inside the coil spring and it's all one assembly.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about this before and came up with these options:

1. Use Bronco type set up with Dana 50 ttb (Coils, Shocks, Trailing Arms). This is not a coil over. Actually pretty straight forward but may need special coils due to different weights of the 351 vs 6.9/7.3.
2. Coil over with Dana 60 and some type of link bar set up (triangulated or otherwise). Requires math I don't have, or a program from Pirate 4x4. Not really worth the effort unless hardcore wheeling. If set up for rock crawling, they make the body sway like no other on the street (i.e. not the best for the street, and who hardcore wheels a F250/350 long bed?!?!).
3. Superduty set up with solid axle Dana 50, or Dana 60 depending on the year. Requires leaf springs but custom hangers because spring perches on the Dana 50/60 are cast into the housing and are narrower than current width of the F250/350 stock hangers. Would be easiest with a parts truck.

If I were to have done it, I would do #1 since I have a D50 and not a D60. However, I replaced every D50 bushings with poly and put new leaf springs on (along with bushings) as part of a lift and I am darn happy with it. A D50 does have better street manners than a sold axle, D60 or otherwise. It was a cee you next tuesday to wrestle the D50 solo, but outside replacing the bushings I really don't mind that axle despite it's reputation. It's going to hold up to 99% of what folks are going to do with this truck. Now, give me a free D60 and all the swap over parts and I'd light my D50 on fire.

But let's be honest, it took me one weekend to replace all D50 bushings, including the leaf springs, which happened once in the truck's 30+ year life time. I think we're both going to survive. With new steering components and an alignment and my tires look perfect after 50k miles.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I am darn happy with it. A D50 does have better street manners than a sold axle, D60 or otherwise. It was a cee you next tuesday to wrestle the D50 solo, but outside replacing the bushings I really don't mind that axle despite it's reputation. It's going to hold up to 99% of what folks are going to do with this truck. Now, give me a free D60 and all the swap over parts and I'd light my D50 on fire.

:D :rotflmao:rotflmao

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad: well sometimes you do look at the mantle when poking the fire

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently bought a D50 94 idit. It has the turning radius of a boat. A battleship in fact. From what I understand, the D60 is comparatively nimble....

I've not heard that but I am definitely not an expert. You may be able to adjust the lock by looking at the knuckle and seeing a screw in/screw out adjuster. It may be fixed on the D50, I have never looked to be honest.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here a picture of the adjusters on a D44 (I think). It's the bolts on either side.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean coil springs, or coilovers? A coilover is like on a Honda or motorcycle, it puts the shock inside the coil spring and it's all one assembly.
Coilover or coil over springs kind of same function, like used in baja trucks n Ford raptor a the mega raptors was just curious if the same appilcation could be used on our old trucks

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can use a coilover with our truck, see my #2 above. It would not be a IFS set up, it would be a solid axle link set up and the coilover would replace the leaf springs. IFS would have coilovers but no links.

IFS with coilover
You must be registered for see images attach

Solid axle with link bars and coilovers.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently bought a D50 94 idit. It has the turning radius
of a boat. A battleship in fact. From what I understand, the D60 is comparatively nimble....
Check the leafs, see if you have signs of rubbing... if so your only options are offset rims, spacers, narrower tires.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the leafs, see if you have signs of rubbing... if so your only options are offset rims, spacers, narrower tires.

It's my understanding that the twin I-beam D50 front axle just has a lousy turning radius compared to the D60. Also that tire ware is accelerated on the D50. Nothing is rubbing on my truck, although the springs are kind of tired.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a D50 for 12 years and with saggy springs and worn-out bushings, etc it does eat tires up and didn't ride very well.

HOWEVER after adding add-a-leaf springs it brought it back up to stock height, and years later doing ball joints, she really tracks well and doesnt wear tires any worse than any other front end. This of course goes along with having good tie rods and ends, and I got a new steering gear(red head) and tightened up the slip joint on the steering shaft.
I like my D50 now that the parts aren't all clapped out.
That said...it turns like a boat. I dont know anyone with a D60 to compare, but it's pretty bad. And you can only adjust those steering stops so much before you bind and trash your u joints.
The only comparison I had for years was my dad's 2wd dually(same wheelbase), and that darn thing turned like my Corolla. It was ridiculous how tight it turned, but of course its 2wd.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned a couple of 4X4 that did not turn worth a sh*t. Took blocks to turn around.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I gather from all the off topic stuff a d50 or a d60 = rubbish eat tires turns like a rolling building.

Coil overs/springs would be work out.

Speaking of leaf springs part numbers for good ones n can some one tell me what size stock is such as 6inch or above.

Once again thanks in new to truck suspension