Clutch not disengaging completely

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my transmission has become nearly impossibly to get in gear, but if it does go in the truck will jump forward about an inch or so, the hydrolics are all ne, have the grim joint mod. Yes my firewall is craked and the firewall flexes out about 3/16 to a quater inch out. Do you think this is my only problem or could the clutch be bad also? It never slips or anything, this is the only problem

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is a grim joint mod?

It could be the actual clutch pedal cross shaft and the firewall combined this tends to create a stacked affect on these clutches...

Lay on floor looking up above throttle pedal, depress clutch by hand and wiggle it hard see if there is slop in the bushings for the cross shaft. If so that's part of the issue, the other part is cracked firewall! Get the large kit from Jason Freebird01 here IIRC correctly. There is a link in my tech article I wrote in tech section to his parts. Or Mel sells them too at www.conestogadiesel.com

JM2CW

Al

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn auto correct, heim joint mod, and everything in the pedals is as tight as can be, my firewall is completely demolished though, I can't see it all but from underneath I can see a 12" plus horizontal crack, and based on the way the master pivots when I wedge a bar against part of the firewall, there are several verticle cracks as well

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure Mel seeks them, haven't seen anything about it on his website.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I'm going to give Mel a call first and see how much he wants since I sent him a few core pumps a while back, maybe we can make a deal haha.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any way you can temporarily brace the flexing part of your firewall and then depress the clutch pedal to see if your issue gets better or worse?

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut up some steel and wedged it in but it's cracked so bad that If I brace the firewall an inch away from it it does nothing to stop the flexing, I have a metal master so I may just try wedging something directly on that but I don't want to break it.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I ordered one of the reinforcement plates from conestoga and they got it to me in one day! That was the end of last week, and I finally got around to try doing it today, well the bend on the right side where it bolts to the trans tunnel is off by a quarter of an inch, too far to just dent the trans tunnel and or bend it the tab further, so it looks like I have to cut up the plate. Sick and tired of clutch/firewall problems I hope this will solve the problem for good

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I wonder why it's off so far, those kit's are a direct duplicate of FORD TSB/Kit and usually fit.

I wonder if your firewall and tunnel are just out that much?

His kit fit my Bronco with minor bumping of sheet metal and no bending of brace!

Somethings not quite right, get us some pictures.

Good luck at it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Once that reinforcing plate is bolted in correctly it will solve your issues.