circular base flange at end of exhaust?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cooling bit is exactly what it does. I have a shop air blow gun that does the same thing, creates a negative vacuum around the tip, causing more air flow, thus more blowing ability. Gets pretty cold, same concept is used on the exhaust.
As for cooling, definitely for exhaust cooling, as dpf regen temps can exceed 1300F. What's also fun is when CNG trucks run them too, they have 3 catalytic converters, so they be piping hot exhaust too.
He is right, during a regen the exhaust coming out of the tip will melt plastic if it’s close, and can even light paper and bushes on fire if close enough, so that’s why there are weird slits to introduce cold air to not make it a fire hazard

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
He is right, during a regen the exhaust coming out of the tip will melt plastic if it’s close, and can even light paper and bushes on fire if close enough, so that’s why there are weird slits to introduce cold air to not make it a fire hazard
So the "geniuses" in charge want to cut back on pollution by forcing newer diesels to dump poison into their exhausts, use filters that get hot enough to melt aluminum, and then force people to run ridiculous looking tips on that same exhaust so that it won't start forest fires, which then lead to more pollution?cookoo No Thanks. I'll just stick with my IDIs!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
As someone who works on newer diesels, there's a lot more science to it than that, but frankly I feel like it'll fall on deaf ears here.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Nero I have no idea what the science is behind it, the part most of us look at is the economics.

The price of the vehicles with all that crap went way up to cover the extra cost of all that crap and research.

My experience with these systems is not with a large amount of them. At work we have a 2010 powerstroke and a 2016 powerstroke.

The particulate filter system on the 2010 completely strangled the engine and got half the fuel mileage the day it came off the lot as it did the day it was deleted.

The 2016 with the def system was always had some sort of issue going on. I don't think that the fuel mileage has gotten much better on it after the delete, but it did seem to cure the going into limp mode every 50 miles or so.

If they could figure out how to lower the emissions without absolutely killing the performance and reliability, and not cost so much to maintain I might start getting behind the concept.

James

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id
As someone who works on newer diesels, there's a lot more science to it than that, but frankly I feel like it'll fall on deaf ears here.
love to hear actual science vs what I here in my small town

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny question, but what color was the truck, was it red or yellow, by chance?

What my first though went to, was the “tip” placed on exhaust systems of fire apratus, that the exhaust vent system connects to. Most fire houses have an exhaust control system in them. It is a forced blower that exit’s the building, and has piping thoughout the bays that have a “drop“ for each truck/bay. A long hose is attached to the pipe, that is long enough to reach from the pipe, to a carrier on a trolley, and then down to the side of the truck. This tube has an “airbag” that slides over the end of the exhaust pipe, back to a “flange” where it stops. You activate the bag, and it inflates around the pipe, and connects the hose to the truck. The system has a sensor, that when a truck is started, it fires up the blower, to frce the exhaust out of the building. On the trolly there is a “sensor” that as the truck pulls out, it deflates the bag as the hose is pulled toward the bay door, so the hose slips off the exhaust tip, before the truck leaves the bay. Yes, there is a pull apart disconnnect in case the bag doesn’t deflate, so it doesn’t rip the system apart.

Our truck have this on everything that is inside the fire house, including the ambulances and grass truck,, that is built on an OBS F-350 pickup….

Maybe this was/is a fire truck/EMS vehicle of some sort.

Here are a couple pictures, so you get the idea. I can’t find one of the exhaust with the hose connected, but you can kinda see it on the one of the pickup…

You must be registered for see images attach

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the truck was red - it did seem to be affiliated/used for an Organization for "official work" type stuff and may have been fire department related, if not currently than at some previous point. Cannot recall if there was lettering on the sides. Was thinking it may be used as a junction for exhaust collection but could only think of "smog test" type reasons.

The tip looked just like this except was straight rather than a bend - the very end/tip terminates with the round flange (which I believe is the opposite of the intended use for the image/item shown). Have been searching around a bit and still can't find anything online that is too relevant (they're all through exhaust flanges)

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Was it something kind of like this? Maybe not so big? This is near the exhaust tip on a diesel Nissan titan

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it something kind of like this? Maybe not so big? This is near the exhaust tip on a diesel Nissan titan

See the above comment in case you missed. Can't remember if any of the holes were countersunk which would be a strong indicator they're bolt holes

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Righto, when I go on break I'll type up a book for ya. It's pretty interesting stuff, but also explains the drop in fuel economy.
I'm always up to learn something new. Bring on the book.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny question, but what color was the truck, was it red or yellow, by chance?

What my first though went to, was the “tip” placed on exhaust systems of fire apratus, that the exhaust vent system connects to. Most fire houses have an exhaust control system in them. It is a forced blower that exit’s the building, and has piping thoughout the bays that have a “drop“ for each truck/bay. A long hose is attached to the pipe, that is long enough to reach from the pipe, to a carrier on a trolley, and then down to the side of the truck. This tube has an “airbag” that slides over the end of the exhaust pipe, back to a “flange” where it stops. You activate the bag, and it inflates around the pipe, and connects the hose to the truck. The system has a sensor, that when a truck is started, it fires up the blower, to frce the exhaust out of the building. On the trolly there is a “sensor” that as the truck pulls out, it deflates the bag as the hose is pulled toward the bay door, so the hose slips off the exhaust tip, before the truck leaves the bay. Yes, there is a pull apart disconnnect in case the bag doesn’t deflate, so it doesn’t rip the system apart.

Our truck have this on everything that is inside the fire house, including the ambulances and grass truck,, that is built on an OBS F-350 pickup….

Maybe this was/is a fire truck/EMS vehicle of some sort.

Here are a couple pictures, so you get the idea. I can’t find one of the exhaust with the hose connected, but you can kinda see it on the one of the pickup…

I'm pretty sure you solved the mystery.