I’m at my wits end with this knock

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sent him the video he said the same thing swap injectors and report back to him, in event this could be rod knock what steps could I take can I just rip motor out do rod bearing through oil pan or would whole rebuild be in order?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Sent him the video he said the same thing swap injectors and report back to him, in event this could be rod knock what steps could I take can I just rip motor out do rod bearing through oil pan or would whole rebuild be in order?
My suggestion would be to pull it, open it, inspect it, mic it, and see if you can jut put new bearings on that one rod if you want to do the minimum. It will be pretty obvious if it is easily fixable.

If it was me I would put new bearings, rings (or pistons and rings), head gaskets, and have the heads gone through. Front and rear main seals, oil cooler seals, new water pump and thermostat and know I should be good for another 100,000 miles or more.

Another option is to find a good used motor to keep you going till you have time and money to completely rebuild this one.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
M
My suggestion would be to pull it, open it, inspect it, mic it, and see if you can jut put new bearings on that one rod if you want to do the minimum. It will be pretty obvious if it is easily fixable.

If it was me I would put new bearings, rings (or pistons and rings), head gaskets, and have the heads gone through. Front and rear main seals, oil cooler seals, new water pump and thermostat and know I should be good for another 100,000 miles or more.

Another option is to find a good used motor to keep you going till you have time and money to completely rebuild this one.
My thought would be if I really had rod knock for the past 6k+ miles wouldn’t it be blown up by now?

Joezam

Reaction score
Torque to 35, tighter can cause problems, such you have now. Tight is good, but tighter is BAD. Always torque to manufactures specs, they did their research.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
M

My thought would be if I really had rod knock for the past 6k+ miles wouldn’t it be blown up by now?
If this was a gasser likely yes. But this is a diesel and built stronger. It’s a IH commercial engine not a consumer truck motor.

You also have 3 gallons of oil and a giant oil filter. So it could be a worn bearing and the connecting rod is a little loose around the crank. Likely it would still knock from the movement of the crank, not go away with the injector turned off. But maybe under the pressure of the power stroke it knocks the rod and crank together. No diesel, no explosive power stroke, and the knock goes away.

It likely could just be you have injector knock. Move that injector to the other side of the engine and retest. Then you will know, injector knock or rod knock.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this was a gasser likely yes. But this is a diesel and built stronger. It’s a IH commercial engine not a consumer truck motor.
Okay, this sir, is moving and compelling! You say it's a "commercial engine"? I understand that it's awesome though under powered, and as a diehard Ford guy I see the wisdom of Ford(and I hate to say it, but) Dodge of having a outside company, IH and Cummins respectively, to design and build their diesels engines. As compared to GM who built their own diesels, which I don't think have rave reviews (I mean, come on, the 5.7 Oldsmobile?) But are you saying that we have "super engines"?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Okay, this sir, is moving and compelling! You say it's a "commercial engine"? I understand that it's awesome though under powered, and as a diehard Ford guy I see the wisdom of Ford(and I hate to say it, but) Dodge of having a outside company, IH and Cummins respectively, to design and build their diesels engines. As compared to GM who built their own diesels, which I don't think have rave reviews (I mean, come on, the 5.7 Oldsmobile?) But are you saying that we have "super engines"?
These are freakin million mile motors baby! (But you will have to refresh it a couple times.)

IH put these engines in IH trucks, buses, and sold them to Ford. Ford sold them to U-haul, ambulance companies, and other box truck companies.

These proved diesel had a place in the pickup market. Now diesel pickups are the preferred tow vehicle due to their tremendous tow ability.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are freakin million mile motors baby! (But you will have to refresh it a couple times.)

IH put these engines in IH trucks, buses, and sold them to Ford. Ford sold them to U-haul, ambulance companies, and other box truck companies.

These proved diesel had a place in the pickup market. Now diesel pickups are the preferred tow vehicle due to their tremendous tow ability.
When you put it like that, I guess so. I'm walking a little taller today......

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven’t swapped Injectors yet but am planning for the worst, anybody got a 6.9 or 7.3 for sale in the boise idaho area? Or know anybody who sells rod bearings in stock?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven’t swapped Injectors yet but am planning for the worst, anybody got a 6.9 or 7.3 for sale in the boise idaho area? Or know anybody who sells rod bearings in stock?
Hang in there! But I would recommend getting another engine, just to have.......ya know.......they don't make these things any more. I have 2 outside of trucks and 2 inside of trucks, and I keep my eyes out for another one or eleven....

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so the suspected injector (#3) i popped the hard line off and I found excess superlube here! Hopefully this is the issue

Attachments

• 39B99DC2-63CE-470D-8C7D-0BF24F67DAE7.jpeg
    39B99DC2-63CE-470D-8C7D-0BF24F67DAE7.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 13

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swapped obviously problematic #3 with #2 and now the knock is almost gone still faintly there but a noticeable improvement, i wonder if i did something wrong on install? I've done 2 sets of injectors prior to this no issues so maybe rushed? anyways im going to fill the filter up with atf and run her hard then fill it with atf again and let it sit overnight