Cheep Alternative fuels

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's thoughts on running different fuels in your IDI? What are the ups and downs of doing this? Any mods needed to run different fuels?????

I bring this up because I was just down at the Ford Dealership talking to there mechanics about our fleet of trucks and some how we got on to the subject of our old IDI trucks. It seems many of the techs there have non turbo IDI trucks for there personal vehicles. The also let me know that they were running 50% waste transmission fluid out of the waist oil barrel as fuel in there trucks with no ill effects. I have also heard of people running french fry oil but don't know what kind of extra filtration you might have to add on.

With fuel prices were they are I am looking for any edge. What are everyone's thoughts?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their are a lot of threads here on the subject. Have you tried doing a search?.Search terms should be WMO and WVO.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I've been looking around for another truck recently, and what really amazes me is how few IDI owners have actually ever experimented with other fuels...they smell my exhaust and still don't believe it's possible :dunno:

I think if you don't, you're missing out on one of the neatest things about these engines.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yup lots of it going on and it looks like allot of people are showing renewed interest. check out the alternative fuels section and set back the date to show allot of the older posts with lots of good info.

basic run down is you can usually run up to a 50/50 in nice weather and if you want to go real strong you should be adding heat and such like a veggie oil system. start small and work your way up.

and if you dont have a pyro gage get one, no need to melt down the motor.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right now im burning about a 75/25 mix of oil/fuel. there two issues it smokes alot/ stinks and a hard starting inthe morning but its good trade off for me

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tech I talked to said with the used transmission fluid mix he had no smoke and no adverse driveability problems. I did find it funny that so many techs at the Ford dealership were owners of older Ford diesels.

On the other hand he said his diesel does not smoke at all except a bit on initial cold start. Mine smokes when ever I get on the throttle or pull a hill. How much of that is normal? I am running pretty much pure ultra low sulfur diesel.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i first got mine it would smoke a little bit then i removed the soup bowl and stoped smoking except on cold start ups. its harder to find trand fluid

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Mine runs quieter and has more power on oil! I just got a home heating oil tank, I'm going to start collecting oils!

-Jon

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much oil (2 stroke or WMO or whatever) would you have to run with kerosene so it wouldn't eat up your ip? I might try it, kero is 20 cents cheaper than diesel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any transmission repair shop will have barrels full of used trans fluid. They might even give it to you just so its off their property. They might even have to pay to have it hauled away. These precup idi engines will run on anything that burns.... Jet fuel... Heating oil... Trans fluid or used engine oil.... A true multi fuel engine kinda like what was in the military.... Talk about a dooms day engine.... Wow....

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Any transmission repair shop will have barrels full of used trans fluid. They might even give it to you just so its off their property. They might even have to pay to have it hauled away. These precup idi engines will run on anything that burns.... Jet fuel... Heating oil... Trans fluid or used engine oil.... A true multi fuel engine kinda like what was in the military.... Talk about a dooms day engine.... Wow....

People don't believe me when I tell them, if its slippery I can dump it in and my truck will run on it......

-Jon

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally like running B100 made at home but it's not for everyone. It is good fuel with minimal complications if you do it right though.