Charging issues

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't do this, though.
The yellow/white wire should *NOT* be attached to the alternator output terminal. Run that wire all the way over to the fender well solenoid(battery terminal side), or whatever connection point you have that is as close as possible to the battery.
This is the 'voltage sense' wire - If it's attached to the alternator output, any voltage drop due to current being drawn by accessories will result in lower voltage at the battery.
If you put it at the battery, the alternator senses any drops and increases the output voltage to compensate... makes for a very nice, consistent output voltage, no matter the load.

This is also what the factory 3G trucks did, like my '93.

You are correct. My only rebuttal/counter point to this is that if you run a heavy enough gauge wire between the alternator and the battery, there will be little to no voltage difference between the charge post and the battery. I think I ran #2 or 4.

If you read the upgrade articles, they all call for a significant upgrade in charge wire size. Partially for this reason I believe because most of the off the shelf harnesses are set up to wire this way.

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well im not the only one, I have read up on the 3G swap, that's fine and all but I just need a system that charges... I have replaced the old alternator and the first new one charged for a bit then stopped, so im on number 2 now, new regulator as well.. my truck is a 89 F350 7.3idi now I was reading in the post about the battery light on the dash if it isn't working then it won't charge, what years was this on? I am about to lose my mind trying to figure this out.. The second alt. after getting jumped the guage in the dash was charging then after a few min, it stopped again I thought it was just the guage acting up so I came home, Nope, dang thing deader than all get out... smh.... I have test lighted everything with it running and the only thing I am getting juice to when it is running is the battery connection on the alternator and the "A" plug on the regulator connector, should I be getting something off the field or stator or Both? Thanks for any help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online