Charging Issue

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On mine, I attached the yellow wire to the yellow wires on the regulator. The new pigtail didn't have an eye on the end of the yellow wire. Here's the closest thing that I have to a picture of he install. It was while I was pulling the engine out. You can see that the three wires are running into a piece of fuel line to protect them from rubbing on anything. My alternator must be a slightly different style since my white wire doesn't plug into the alternator.

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s how I did mine. I put the yellow wire on the hot post. Effectively the same if the charge wire is of correct size.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that certainly spells it out in black & white! Should I put a ground wire on the backside as shown?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that certainly spells it out in black & white! Should I put a ground wire on the backside as shown?
I made a ground wire from a piece of old jumper cable, and ran that directly from the negative post on the battery, to one of the bolts that hold down the alternator.

There is no longer any question whether I have a good ground or not. LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s bolted to the engine block which is bolted to the main ground cable. I don’t necessarily think an extra ground is required.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did I mention before that I hate electrical $hit! I doesn't work! As far as I know everything is wired correctly yet obviously it isn't cause the gauge reads way low, and I confirmed with a meter reading at the battery @ 12.1 volts with engine running....... It was a PBR night! Any thoughts what I screwed up???

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the diagram sent with the alt.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you have key on power to the green wire? Where did you pull that from? Remember on our trucks that wire is usually not green. It’s red with a green stripe.

I can’t really think of anything else unless the alt is bad. There’s really nothing to it.

As a Hail Mary if you didn’t ground the case you can try clipping a jumper cable from the case to the bat neg to make sure you have a good ground. Make sure your fuse is good. Maybe connect directly to the hot post on the solenoid for troubleshooting purposes.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White wire from new pig tail plugs into alt
Yellow wire from new pig tail connected to lug on back of alt (same one heavy battery wire connects to)
Green wire connected to green wire cut from old voltage reg.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet that’s the issue. I don’t know if that green wire has key on power or not. To test it jump your green wire on the pig tail to the battery hot. I bet you get power.

Good places to get key on power are the IP shutoff solenoid or your fuel heater if you’ve deleted it. The GP controller is also an option. Look for a red wire with green stripe.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check for voltage on that wire tonight. I used the green wire coming out of the voltage reg because that's what was suggested on you-tube video. During disassemble of the old system, that green wire is the only wire that requires cutting, therefore it also seemed logical it was correct. I did not check for "key-on voltage" on that wire.......... I loaded a fresh PBR 30pack in the garage fridge before going to bed. Hope it gets used to celebrate!