Charging Issue

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also drink some of the other "classics", Hamm's, Old German, & Old Mill.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, what voltage are you getting?

Where?

And when? (Engine running. Not running. Key in run. Key off. Etc.)

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked voltage at the battery with engine running it was 12.1 volts. Obviously the alternator is not charging, question is why? My first check this evening will be to verify voltage on the green wire. I spliced the green wire from the old voltage regulator onto the green wire on new pigtail. Here's a photo of the wire I snipped off at the old voltage reg. I keep looking at the photo's from last evening and wondering if that new pig tail plug is pushed in all the way on the alt?
You must be registered for see images attach

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there's a way to screw up and electrical procedure, I'll find it. Reading the description of what's required I thought there's no way for me to mess up, wrong again!
Pig Tail with white, yellow, & green wire:
*White Wire plugs into alt
*Yellow Wire connects to lug on alt
*Green Wire splices onto green wire at old voltage reg

Last, connect a 6ga. wire to lug on alt, run this to a 175amp fuse, and provide power to this with another 6ga. wire from the solenoid.

Only thing that makes sense is what Laser said, no power at the green wire. Which also could've been my initial charging issue???

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might check for voltage at the b+ terminal on the alternator to see if there is a voltage drop there, then check for voltage at the spliced wire. If you have correct voltage in both spots it's likely a bad alternator
Also make sure there is a good ground on the case. If too much crud and rust forms on the mounts itll have issues as well

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might check for voltage at the b+ terminal on the alternator to see if there is a voltage drop there, then check for voltage at the spliced wire. If you have correct voltage in both spots it's likely a bad alternator
Thanks, I'll do it!

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so what kind of voltage is the green wire, supposed to get? That wire, (in other diagrams) seems like it is fed from the volt gauge, or something similar. What voltage is coming from the 'whatever' on that other end?

Easiest, best way to test the alternator output, is to supply that wire with the voltage it is supposed to get. (Separate it from wherever you have it connected right now.)

Easy enough to do, if it gets the full 12 volts.Just run a pigtail to it, from the battery positive.

Then, with the engine running, test the voltage output of the alternator, again.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnected new pigtail plug from alt turned key on checked voltage of green wire where it plugs into alt. It reads 9.6 volts while glow plugs are warming, when they click off it reads 11.9 which is the same as current battery reading.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that on my truck that wire gets 7 volts. I have no idea how you can give the wire only 7 volts, but try giving it that, and see what the alt puts out while the engine is running.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes no sense. Did you try grounding the case with a jumper cable or similar? It really should be that easy. If that doesn’t work, jump the green wire to the battery directly. When you check the voltage, measure it at the lug on the alt and at the fuse as well as the starter relay. You do have the charge wire on the correct side of the starter relay (not the starter side)? I know that’s a stretch but I’m at a loss. I’ll go take pictures of mine.

I would not spend a bunch more time on it before I had the alt tested. You wouldn’t be the first to get a bad one out of the box.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s what I’ve got. Here’s the plug into the Alt. Yellow on charge lug. White plugged in. Green/red (next picture) spliced into the fuel shutoff circuit.

Charge wire to fuse, fuse to hot post on starter relay.

Same alternator with M8 top bolt.

Here’s my GP relay. You can tap off the red wire there to get key on as well. The green wire in the new plug is the exciter wire I think. If it’s not getting the right voltage, the field is wrong on the alt and it won’t charge.

Try disconnecting from your batteries too. It may take a little bit for the system voltage to come up because you have to charge the batteries from the discharge of the start and GPs.