1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charging Issue

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by catbird7, Oct 21, 2019.

1. catbird7

catbird7 Full Access Member

Noticed my factory alt/ batt gauge was doing some crazy stuff during a 100 mile drive home. It has historically always read low, somewhere around 13 volts however this trip I noticed it was uncharacteristically high for a period, then a sudden swing to very low which also trigger the battery light, then back to the normal 13 volt range where it traditionally is. Any opinions what this could be? Wiring issue? Alternator on it's way out? Voltage reg? As a side note, this is a completely stock factory system never been modified. Thanks in advance!

2. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Have alt tested. Put in a aftermarket voltmeter, stock one is mostly useless.
    Could simply be a ground in the dash.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

catbird7 likes this.
  3. Selahdoor

Selahdoor How can I help you, or make you laugh, today? Supporting Member

If you have a volt-ohm meter... Run a couple wires into the cab, from the alt and ground. Hook your volt ohm meter to those wires. Drive, and watch to see any differences between the factory gauge, and your volt-ohm meter.

My factory gauge is worthless. Does the same sort of stuff. But the alternator output is solid where it is supposed to be.

catbird7 likes this.
  4. catbird7

Sound advice! Thanks guys!

5. frankenwrench

frankenwrench overkill is under rated!

Had a similar issue. Was just the yellow wire on the regulator worked it's way out the plug. Have to mash it back in every so often. 15717691665955512767174896387797.jpg

catbird7 likes this.
  6. catbird7

I'll definitely check that out. I have found the alt plug is "iffy". Love to find a new wiring harness! Years ago I was lucky to find a new "factory" glowplug wiring harness!

7. laserjock

laserjock Almost there... Supporting Member

I’ll be that guy....

3G swap it!!! What are you thinking using that old crap?!?

IMG_4142.JPG

8. catbird7

I would love to do that, however my electrical skills are on par with my brain surgery skills..... I'll do some searching on "3G Swap".

9. laserjock

It’s very easy. Alternator I got was for a tall deck 429 truck motor through the uhaul eBay store. Pretty much direct fit except the top hole is metric (8mm I think). It could be drilled and taped for 3/8 I think but I just used a 8mm flange bolt. It even had the double groove pulley although I highly recommend swapping that pulley for the one off your 1g. A thin washer to account for the thickness of the external fan and it goes right on. Squeaks a lot less too with the slightly larger pulley.

Practically plug and play if you order the right connector for the alternator.

IMG_4596.JPG

If you get this connector (eBay I think is where I got it) with the big plug for the alternator, ring terminal goes on the output lug, little plug goes in a slot on the alt and then the last wire goes to switched 12v. Good heavy wire from the output to your fender solenoid (preferably with a nice heavy fuse ,~150 A ) and you are done. Throw away the voltage regulator.

There are a few really good tutorials out there too.

Christopher Cline and catbird7 like this.
  10. catbird7

THANKS a million! I'll checkout ebay today.

11. laserjock

Pig tail:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173889707302

I also see full “kits”. Not sure if it’s worth the money or not.

I like these fuse holders.

Littelfuse 298900 Automotive... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FXL4Q0?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Fuse

Littelfuse MEG175XP MEGA Slo-Blo... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002JMLJC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I made all my own cables but if you look around you can probably find battery cables with rings on the ends about the right length.

For example:

4 AWG Gauge Red + Black Pure Copper Battery Inverter Cables Solar, RV, Car, Boat 9 in 3/8 in Lugs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F32MR50/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TMzSDbHQ8JWAX

Different length options there.

I don’t remember if I ran 4 awg or 6. As short as the run is, it probably wouldn’t matter that much.

Hope that helps.

12. catbird7

Thanks once again! Looks like I'm going to earn some "Cabela's Club Points" today!

laserjock likes this.
  13. catbird7

Just for clarification, is this correct? Capture.PNG

14. laserjock

That looks correct.

15. saburai

saburai Supporting Member Supporting Member

I did a 3G conversation on Diego. It's easy, I found a how to with which vehicles alt. to pull at the pick and pull, iirc, I got one from a Windstar, I think I had to re clock it. I clipped the pigtails when I pulled it. I had it rebuilt and upgraded by a local shop I've been using for years. I used the same fuse set up and did the rest of the conversion the same as laserjock. Go for it! It's a very simple and straight forward job and the 3G is vastly superior to the old lump.

catbird7 likes this.