Changing engine E350 to f-250, and injector questions?

kf6ivi

Reaction score
Ok I am changing the engine in my f-250 it lost number 7 cylinder. I have a used engine from a 1983 e350 that had 136000 mile on it. The engine was rebuilt during that time; it has a Ford remanufactured short block (new updated style block), a new remanufactured injector pump. The heads look new from the outside.. Over all a clean looking engine. I ran the engine in the van around town for a few days it is a strong engine. I know I need to change out the oil-cooler, the exhaust manifolds, Fuel filter housing, and the turbo. Turn up the injector pump for the turbo. Am I missing anything else?

The question is it has AA injectors do I keep them or change them out? I have a new set of BB injectors in the shop do I use them?

I will be pulling the injector pump off and then change out the injector gear cover so I have a working tachometer. The “new” engine does not have a tachometer port on the gear cover. I will do this with out moving the timing gear. I will also change out the return line while I am at it.

Thanks for your advice

Ethan

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a F350 to an E350. Most all the accesory brackets are different. But that should be no problem. The oil dipsticks are different. The motor mounts are different. The fuel filter stands and lines are different. Everything else appears the same.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did the same.manifolds,mounts,oil cooler,fuel filter and lines going to it,and accesory brackets.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just as posted above but I think the passenger side manifold can stay. At least look it over before you remove it. This motor was probably bored but that will be ok for some time I hope. The injectors can pump can stay or just upgrade them as you feel you need to.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the injectors staying. Use an allen wrench in the fuel turn up screw to hold the pump/timing gear combo while you move the housing over. The trick will be getting the crankshafts of both engines to be in exactly the same spot.

kf6ivi

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your feed back. I will change the accessory mounts as well.

Mel I plan on just changing the injector pump cover. I will use the pump on the new-used motor. I talked to a friend whom told me to remove the injector pump. Then just remove the injector gear cover without moving the gear and place the one with the tachometer plug on. Does this sound right to you all?

Thanks again Ethan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds right to me but.... Are you sure you wont be moving the gear any? You may want to look at the gear alignment procedures that are here in the help section...

aaklingler

Reaction score
I would mark the gears where they mesh, draw a line with a pencil across the two gears, either from the hole after you pull the pump out or pull the cover off the front of the pump cover.

kf6ivi

Reaction score
I will mark the gears before I pull the cover. I also will read up on the gear set up.

Ethan

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
It is a good thing to mark them, cause it is nerve racking to move that cover and see the gear move and think is it right or did i jump a tooth?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger