Center Support Bearing (Drive Shaft)

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May be better than you think. As long as it didn't beat the splines up. You are aware that some years with the ubolt holders were ******** that had larger caps than the standard 1330 joints. I think the caps were 1.125 in diameter. So it looks like a conversion joint. I beleive it's also a little wider as the caps I think were also a little thicker on the end. Depending on the dimensions it's possible it could be one of those you got.

Just tossing that out there.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right / par for the course! It was a weird u-joint. It was square 3.6" however the caps were very slightly different diameter. I think they were 1.125" & 1.06". You look at stuff like this and it really makes you wonder what the heck they were thinking when they designed it??? I have a 1989 rear from the F350 parts truck which had new gears installed a few years back, maybe I'll swap the entire thing after hunting season???

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right / par for the course! It was a weird u-joint. It was square 3.6" however the caps were very slightly different diameter. I think they were 1.125" & 1.06". You look at stuff like this and it really makes you wonder what the heck they were thinking when they designed it??? I have a 1989 rear from the F350 parts truck which had new gears installed a few years back, maybe I'll swap the entire thing after hunting season???

Yep that's the ******* one. On the short list once I get mine running and driving is a crush sleeve eliminator and I may swap the yoke off my 4.10 onto the 3.55. It was the later strap style.

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad you pinpointed the problem ..

though .. i wouldn't use moog u-joints ..

i've tried moog .. they used to make good stuff but not anymore ..

spicer is by far the best .. without spending $200 on an aftermarket joint ..

i think i paid like 13$ each for the oem spicer joints at carquest ..

and yep ^^ the rear is a ******* joint .. different sized cups ..

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing a worn center bearing. I bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00153YS6S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it came just just as the pics show w/o instructions. I placed the large washer/dust guard on the shaft and tapped the bearing on with a pipe. it stopped dead, about 1/4 inch short of where it looks it should be.

I have replaced hundreds of bearing in my day. I know the feeling when the seat, I gave it few more whacks and started to mushroom the pipe.

I'm starting to think this could be missing part of the seal to take up that last 1/4 inch.
I expected it to look like this:

https://www.oilburners.net/attachments/9a0504af-1210-4adc-930e-53c052fe54a0_zpstnnmczxq-jpg.109089/

I don't see how the other side would seal either. there's nothing to keep that large washer from rattling around on the shaft once it's assembled

it's not a directional bearing, at least it doesn't have any markings
I wasn't able to find any install info on timken's site or anywhere else

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this guy has the same space ***?

@7min 50 sec??

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media