Driveshaft and Carrier / Center Bearing issues. Ideas?

Jon Schwenke

Reaction score
Hey guys. My carrier bearing was howling on my 92 F250 7.3 IDI extended cab so I dropped the driveshaft to replace it. When I got to removing the bearing it appears that either this bearing or a previous one had worn the mating surface (completely smooth, so maybe its factory and I'm missing something?) so that the new one would be loose and wobbling when pressed into what appears to be proper position. I'm wondering if the bearing was pushed on too far, moved, or the driveshaft is missing a bushing there or ??? I can't get a good photo of it, but the diagram below explains the issue I think. Should I just press the bearing on to the remaining correct dimension "neck" (about 1/2" wide), leave the normally pressed in dust cap off and hope the slip joints allow me to hang the new bearing properly? Maybe if the new bearing mating surface is or can be machined to a smaller ID bearing size do I attempt that? Apparently here are two sizes available for this truck. Anybody encountered this before and not had to get a new front/forward shaft? The worn section is so smooth it looks like it's possibly like that from the factory. Is it? What in tarnation? Ideas please?

Attachments

• 20220211_164648[1].jpg
    20220211_164648[1].jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 18

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How much too small is it? If it's not very much smaller, green Lock Tite may fix you up. It's made for filling small imperfections like this.

Jon Schwenke

Reaction score
How much too small is it? If it's not very much smaller, green Lock Tite may fix you up. It's made for filling small imperfections like this.
Thanks for the idea, but I don't think that would work. A few millimeters to about 1/8" difference. There's enough difference that it wobbles.

Jon Schwenke

Reaction score
Everything that you drew in your sketch.

The drive shaft shop puts the whole shaft in a lathe and cuts the solid machined part off of the tube. They then install the new stub, and weld it up.
If I haven't found one at the junkyard this weekend I'll give that a go. There's one nearby me. Thanks. It's definitely worn, right? I'm not missing a sleeve or spacer, or....