CB antennas on the mirrors

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last 3 IDI's I had with CB radios in them I had the antennas on the mirrors and ran the coax through the vent windows it works but is there a better way?

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
I had mine on my rollbar and ran the coaxial through a flood plug in the bottom of my cab. I see a lot of guys run them off the front of the bed

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
I ran my coaxial the same way as you did on your prior trucks, through the vent window to the inside of the door and back out the the wire loom for the window/ door lock to the interior under the dash. I have OCD on wiring and how it should look, whips off the mirrors looked good, but I couldn't stand the whistling noise, so i went back the mounting it on the tool box and running the coaxial through the dust plug under the rear seat on the drivers side and back to the front via way of the driver's side rocker panel.

Just my two cents.....

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i had mine like that and i like the look but i cant stand the whistling my firestik made when mounted to the mirror with the window rolled down...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mirror mount always makes a whistle sound, drives ya crazy. Anyone need a dual antenna coax, got a bunch of them Free, just pay shipping. PM me.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have always done a mirror mount on mine, and run the coax to the front of the door and into the cab. Never really noticed the whistle from them.....

I plan on installing a CB in the Excursion, and will mount them on the mirrors, and run coax in the same way.... looking at the Cobra 29 LX Model

For Antenna's something along like these. Not necessarily this specific set, but similar.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished up running the coax through the vent windows and hooked up power to the radio. But when I key up the mic and talk I can here myself through the truck stereo speakers. I have never had this I put the CB in this truck the same way as my last trucks. I bolted the antenna mounts to the mirrors and ran a ground and a power wire to the CB. Any Ideas?

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mirror mount isn't the best because there is a lack of ground plane. Best place on a truck (or anything) is the cab center. The more flat metal the better the signal will radiate. So if you put an antenna on the pass. side, it will transmit better to the driver's side. Mounting a CB antenna on the front fender would be better than the mirror allowing the coax to be run under the hood. For most people the min. better signal won't matter but might help with the SWR tuning.
As a side note, dual antennas act as a beam and shoot an oval pattern front and back of the rig, theory is roads are straight and the signal will go farther down the road, the trick is they should be 8 feet apart.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
How in the world could you get end 8 feet apart on our trucks? lol ADV sounds like you got problem man, I have never heard of that. I tried to mount my whips on the mirror and the housing for the glass wouldnt allow it. Can you only mount them to towing mirrors?

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
With my mirrors i could get 8' apart... :D

I have a single center loaded antenna on my drivers side mirror. I only get a whistle with a headwind. One thing i've noticed though is my signal strength sucks.... Seth and I even tuned the antenna and it still sucks...

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I use my vent windows all the time, do running the wire through it is a no no. That's how it was setup on my motorhome when I got it. The wire lasted 2 years before it split.

I've drilled a hole in my door for it.

You must be registered for see images attach

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
I had made my own clamp for the mirror mount so the antenna stood up straight and didnt angle toward the cab. However, when i put my tru k back together its getting the whips mounted to the cab guard on the flatbed i want to build.

How in the world could you get end 8 feet apart on our trucks? lol ADV sounds like you got problem man, I have never heard of that. I tried to mount my whips on the mirror and the housing for the glass wouldnt allow it. Can you only mount them to towing mirrors?