Can an IDI tow 8,000 pounds for 1600 miles?

norve8c9

Payton
Reaction score
I was just curious if you guys think that my 7.3 n/a is capable of towing my wheeling rig and a couple extra thousand pounds of stuff from az to wa. I have the e40d with two coolers and and straight pipe stack to help keep the temps down. Let me know what you guys think and if there is anything i should do to get the old dog ready.

FULL FORCE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
norve8c9 said:
I was just curious if you guys think that my 7.3 n/a is capable of towing my wheeling rig and a couple extra thousand pounds of stuff from az to wa. I have the e40d with two coolers and and straight pipe stack to help keep the temps down. Let me know what you guys think and if there is anything i should do to get the old dog ready.
I towed my 24 ft enclosed trailer last week loaded with parts for a swap meet,prob around 8500-9000 pounds,My truck was fine until I had hills,I had to floor it uphill and got a whopping 8.5 mpg on hills flats was fine,I have a 90 5 sp. non turbo 4x4 that O towed that with,I just got a 94 turbo diesel tonight,can't wait to tow with it and see the difference!!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine regularly hauls more than 4 times that figure and has for over 20 years.

Quite often a trip over-runs a couple of oil changes.

Nothing you can haul will load the wagon any heavier than cattle; couple that with constant movement that will walk a truck through stoplights and oversteer around curves.

8000 pounds would be like running empty.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
86lx said:
32,000 behind a non turbo IDI? I had a hard time moving 10,000 in mine!!
You just learn patience :D I would pack 15k routinely on the carrier and often going up to 17-18k and did it for ten years. you just learn the strategy of driving one ;Sweet

FULL FORCE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
You just learn patience :D I would pack 15k routinely on the carrier and often going up to 17-18k and did it for ten years. you just learn the strategy of driving one ;Sweet
I hear ya,You must have more flats than we do here,last week I could not keep the truck above 45 mph on a small hill,they are not real steep just long,I hope I will be happier with my new turbo truck!!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
norve8c9 said:

Do the normal preventive maintenance stuff.

We pulled 6500 pounds across the country (2700 miles) during the summer of '04. Only problem was a melted fuel heater on the last hill of the trip--a 10% grade up to the guard shack at DLI here in Monterey. I should have known better--it was marked "no vehicles over 8000 GVWR" at the bottom of the hill... we were probably about 13,000 total... not GVWR but GCWR. The intent was probably the same--and my truck sputtered and smoked in disapproval at the guard shack. Glad she didn't stall. :)

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as you take your time she'll drag 8,000# all day every day thats what i tow with mine here in the NW. even moved 5 loaded RR cars one time with no adverse effects wouldn't do it on a daily basis but she moved them down the tracks ok.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Mr. Bill were in better health, he'd tell you he regularly pulled 10 to 20K loads all over the country day in and day out, with an E4OD no less.

Reaction score
My brother in law works for an implement dealer in Northeastern ND. It's flat there, but he regularly pulls two 7500 lbs tractors on a goosneck with his '86 6.9 NA w/ 4.10's. Biggest advice I can give is get a good brake controller, and make sure they work. It won't necessarily pull your load fast, but you may need to stop fast.

Paul

ramon f350

Reaction score
I haul loads of hay weighing anywhere from 13k to 22k all the time i would not worry about your weight all just take it slow and rememeber that you are not in a race Like everyone has said the key to this whole thing is trailer brakes make sure you have a good controller and that your brakes on your trailer work!!!

Ramon

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
86lx said:
I hear ya,You must have more flats than we do here,last week I could not keep the truck above 45 mph on a small hill,they are not real steep just long,I hope I will be happier with my new turbo truck!!
guess you haven't checked out any topo maps in Kalifornia have you? :eek:
honestly, I am not as concerned how fast I am running when loaded, as long as I get to my drops without having to change my shorts. Remember, they build houses on 20deg plus grades out here. :eek:

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
think about it this is the same motor thats been in school buses full of juvenile deliquents for 20 years & a loaded bus weighs 25,000# +/- i dont think we are even starting to put them to work at 12,000 - 16,000#.

norve8c9

Payton
Reaction score
I got another question, is it ever ok to tow that much weight while in overdrive. I have my own opinions but i wanted your input.