Cam walked, could it be? 785,075 miles...

Bbasso

Reaction score
I'm in a jam, My 2000 E350 7.3 PSD van has a big problem. The Dealer says cam walk, the local diesel guys say cam walk too.
We've tried a few CPSs, checked with AE and I've done a continuity test on the CPS wires and still not running right. It starts then stumbles for a few seconds and shuts off. No other codes or problems.

I'm about to buy another van but would really like to keep mine and not be in debt. I'd also like to be able to hit 1,000,000 miles...

So my question is, what are the chances the cam really walked? And if it did, what if any ways to repair without going into big money?

Thank you!
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5205/785075theend.jpg

Last edited:

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VALVE COVER GASKET PLUG SHORT CIRCUT

common cause for this type of problem is the valve cover gasket plugs ...check the plugs with ohm meter ,most cases the glow plug wire melts inside the plug and shorts the injector ,truck will start right up run fine then skip and quit ,symptioms may vary !!

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a jam, My 2000 E350 7.3 PSD van has a big problem. The Dealer says cam walk, the local diesel guys say cam walk too.
We've tried a few CPSs, checked with AE and I've done a continuity test on the CPS wires and still not running right. It starts then stumbles for a few seconds and shuts off. No other codes or problems.

I'm about to buy another van but would really like to keep mine and not be in debt. I'd also like to be able to hit 1,000,000 miles...

So my question is, what are the chances the cam really walked? And if it did, what if any ways to repair without going into big money?

Thank you!
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5205/785075theend.jpg

cam walked http://www.oilburners.net/forums/images/icons/laught22.gifmaybe the cps sent it to teh store to get vc plugs,,,be right back lol its not likely .

Bbasso

Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't understand what you're getting at.
Are you saying it's something other then the CPS?

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
if the cam/cam position sensor was not functionioning properly, the can WOULD NOT even fire at all, rough or not. check the wires under the valve cover as stated above as well ass all wires external of the valve covers. Your absolute best bet is to either buy auto enginuity or equivilant and scan the pcm to show EXACTLY what is wrong or at least find someone that can.

try watching some of the videos on powerstroke help and hopefully you can figure it out yourself

http://powerstrokehelp.com/7.3liter/7-3_main.asp

tknomaj

Reaction score
Your cam shaft is held in place by a thrust plate. and cannot walk as like in small block chevrolets. if the camshaft does have excessive movement forward and back remove timing cover timing gear and replace thrust plate. done . have never seen this happen my bet is valve cover gasktes or short in wiring.

Bbasso

Reaction score
The auto enginuity program was used, it only said the CPS was the problem.
after trying three brand new ones the van still had the same problem.

BUT, The van just left on a flatbed heading to it's new owner...
I kinda gave up, but the reality is I can't afford to make a endless money pit out of her.
Transmission had 185K on her and the rest of the van has 785K so only a matter of time before more money was needed to keep her going.
So I'm buying a 99.5 E350 from the first owner with only 137K tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help, I just couldn't pass up the offer on my broken van at the moment. So it's sold and I'm sad......

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
call the guy you sold the van to in the morning he will probably have the the new valve cover gasket on and will give you a ride to pick up youre new one