Buying a IDI Turbo. What do I look for?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I see 10 lugs on the front wheel, and that looks like an F-Superduty badge (picture just too blurry when I zoom in).

If it has the correct IDIT VIN code K for IDIT rather than M for an N/A IDI (eighth digit), it would be the first Factory Turbo F-Superduty I’ve ever seen.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like someone has taken care of the truck. It is clean and the interior looks pretty good. Go for it.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing the pics, I think @Macrobb 's assessment at around $3K is about the right value for that truck. It does has some pros that put it on the higher end of a typical IDI truck, but there are some cons too. Like whatever is staining the underside of the hood.... some red flags. Also, while the outside looks ****, that engine definitely seen some work in those quarter million miles. Not necessarily a bad thing, if the PO has records showing he maintained everything. But the spray on the hood makes me question his attention. Also, the parts looks old, when you buy this, be prepared for a line-item check of all the accessories. Don't be surprised if you have to start replacing hoses, lines, the vac pump, other pumps, etc.

Ask the PO if he uses SCA's and what type of Glowplugs he uses, and if he doesn't know what you are talking about, then I'd start to get worried.

but the chance to trade straight up is appealing to me.

I'm hoping you are not trading your only car for this truck. You will need a backup vehicle just in case your IDI repairs get extensive.

WOLFITZ

Reaction score
Okay so just an update. Deal isn’t going to happen. There is a title issue due to a title loan so no go. But thanks y’all for the help.

The hunt for a truck continues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I see 10 lugs on the front wheel, and that looks like an F-Superduty badge (picture just too blurry when I zoom in).

If it has the correct IDIT VIN code K for IDIT rather than M for an N/A IDI (eighth digit), it would be the first Factory Turbo F-Superduty I’ve ever seen.

It also has factory (appearing) hyro boost, another clue pointing toward "superduty".

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was rather vague. I guess the only clue that he had in all of his text (title and wording) was the word "motor," which is one of my pet peeves. Otherwise, it seemed like he was shopping for a turbo. Hard to tell with the way he wrote it.
Lol it was very clear! Idk where you got that from

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that f450 has a straight front axle, like my project one has, isn't that replaceable for a dana front axle coversion to 4wd down the road?
The deal went sour anyway but asking for future reference.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would need a cab and chassis Dana 60, since it is a narrower frame. The straight axle is similar in design to what you would see on a bobtail/medium duty

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because you didn't get this one, you don't have to leave the forum. If you like these trucks and would like to get one some day, then please stick around. We're really not very exclusive here.

This is me to a T ..... last idi i saw for sale here locally went for 17k so while i'm waiting for the sun, stars and moon to align and get a chance to get back over to California and snag one , i'm soaking up idi knowledge - most of the diesel work in my shop is of the *** and euro variety.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You would need a cab and chassis Dana 60, since it is a narrower frame. The straight axle is similar in design to what you would see on a bobtail/medium duty
Front is the same. Tear is the narrower one.
(At least that's what's been said here)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front is not the same. When the reverse shackles and superduty springs were done on the ambulance the kit needed to be modified significantly for the narrower frame.

WOLFITZ

Reaction score
Oh I’m not going anywhere. But I’m not partial to any diesel. I just want a diesel. I probably need a gas 1500 of some sort but I want a diesel. I’ll probably just buy a new ram 2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88