Bus 7.3 IDI vs. what's in our trucks

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is there a really big difference between the IDI's found in the heavier applications these motors are used in vs. whats in our trucks? The reason I'm asking is that I found a cheap turbo motor out of a school bus that supposedly runs well, and just needs the turbo rebuilt. I'm wondering if it would be a wise move to pick this motor up for the turbo and possibly swapping in my truck.

I'd appreciate any info, comments, or suggestions.

mR

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just posted something refering to this i wish i could help i found a 95 turbo setup 4 150 but its no good to idis

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I was told the "industrial" 7.3 is heavier and that the "industrial" engine is found in buses and larger trucks. Not saying that's true, but it's what I was told.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they are all the same. so says my core supplier.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bus motor has a larger capacity oil pan, and a lower governed RPM. Along with a few accessory changes, and a different passenger side exhaust manifold, the biggest difference is the transmission they put behind it. I've rented an IH S1600 chassis with the IDI in it, and the radiator is huge compared to ours, but the fan is the same. The crank pulley also had like 7 or 8 grooves in it, and an air compressor was mounted on the drivers side. The air cleaner was monsterous, and the fuel filter was a bit larger. The trans was a Clark 5 speed, with all the gears low and no OD. I think the truck was rated for 25,000 pounds of cargo. The engine sounded the same, but when it idled, the giant muffler made a low rumble audible in the house through all the walls that made it sound like a real monster. Funny how it's all in the dressing.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A turbo bus engine is likely a T444E (PSD). The turbo IDI's were only offered in Ford light truck applications as far as I know.

The V8 IDI engines were the "base" diesel engines in International trucks and were designed to be cheap (i.e. no turbo). If you wanted power, there were a slew of larger turbo engines available.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless its an aftermarket turbo job or custom turbo setup. There was no factory turbo IDI with IH. That was a Ford only idea. Hypermax makes a IH truck/van specific turbo kit.

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well he said that he found a sticker saying "T444 engine family" so I'm assuming it is a Powerstroke and not a IDI. Bummer...

mR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron

Members online