Burning Smell on Acceleration.

teach

Reaction score
So I have a bit of an odd issue. When I step into my truck it smells like something is burning, it smells like a combination of oil and electrical. It only happens when I gun it. Normal slow acceleration and driving it doesn't happen. Any ideas?

Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Is the engine dirty looking? What do the exhaust manifolds look like? Seems if you are asking for more power you are creating more heat in the exhaust so check that carefully. Might find some oil and maybe a wire hanging on a hot exhaust.

teach

Reaction score
It looks pretty clean under the hood. I will look it over better tonight and see if there is a wire or leaks. I know I have a ps leak but I don't think it is getting on anything hot.

I just didn't know if there was anything IDI specific that would cause an oil leak on acceleration.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under the hood usually does look clean... Now look under the engine!!

The valvecovers tend to leak, and one common are for it to hit is the passenger header & starter.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the cdr system and it's grommet. Working the engine harder will give you more blowby, and blowby smells just like you describe.

teach

Reaction score
Well I pulled off the air cleaner and looked at the CD-R valve. It looks like it is the original (same color as valve covers) I'm guessing that is my smell. However while looking around I found that I am getting diesel pooling at the back of my intake. Which makes me think my air intrusion isn't from the feed lines but the return lines. I looked a little more and the return hose from the filter housing doesn't even have a clamp on one end. And I talked to the guy I bought it from and he said he changed the return o rings and caps but some still leaked so he used some of the old caps. Also I don't think he replaced all the lines between caps. Some is rubber other is braided. So I'm thinking its parts ordering time. Where is the best place to get return caps and lines? As well as the cdr valve?

Lastly I read an article somewhere that said I could just plug off the return line from the filter housing. Is this true? Is there any problems associated with plugging it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A return line kit is needed thats for sure. The way the other owner repaired it was not correct. As you have found out. Doing half the job never works. Contact either typ4 or agnem. They are members of this forum and sell the best kits available anywhere. Mel is agnem and he owns the Conestoga Diesel shop world famous for building the Moose pump line of injection pumps. Russ is typ4 who is well known for the typ4 cam. He also sells about the best modified turbos or rebuilds them. His return line kits are like Mel's in that they have viton o rings. The run of the mill ebay sellers are passing off a less that quality kit.
Now as for accelerating and causing a leak is wrong to think that. When you accelerate your making more heat so things tend to burn off and smell. Remember your adding more fuel to the engine so that adding more heat.

teach

Reaction score
I didn't think that the smell had to do with the fuel leak, I just happened to find it when looking at the CDR system. I am pretty sure that the CDR is causing the smell.

Thanks for the info I will check into those kits, I am going to need something its probably not to great to have fuel dumping on the manifold.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The impression I get from the return line off the filter is it lets air bleed out of the system quicker. So if you run out of fuel, the filter is going to fill up quicker with the return line in place. It gives another place for the air to go besides having all of it go through the injection pump.

All those return lines on the injectors are the reason why we don't have to crack the injectors when we run out of fuel. The return lines are there to catch the fuel used to cool the injectors, but a side benefit is purging the air automatically from the injectors.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The return line off the filter head also acts as a pressure regulator, per the Ford naming of that part

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The return line to the filter lets any air in the return system go there, the air release valve lets air purge until fuel reaches it then closes, filter is the high point, air always goes there.

The Olives may be leaking at the filter to IP dripping into the valley pan.

Why do you need a new CDR, if mist is going into the intake, it's doing it's job. Rarely do they ever go bad unless the diaghram is deteriorated.

Attachments

• DSCN0587.JPG
    DSCN0587.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 25

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh uh uh.... the above pic ain't quite right. The " Schrader valve" and " Return line from #1 injector" are switched. Can clearly see the hose barb vs valve fitting....

Just sayin....