burning oil... not in a good way

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've started to take a notice of my oil consumption.... I pulled into the gas station the other day and found me down to the 1/4 mark of the hatched area on the dip stick... Starting to watch the level at every fill up. I also noticed that upon heavy acceleration, it smokes. Up til now I thought it was my inj pump turned to far up, I think I'm over fueling the engine for the stock turbo(high ex temp on heavy up hill accelerations). On a typical gas engine, one can run a compression check dry, then squirt some oil/wd40 and do another test and see the change in pressure. Is this the same on a oil burner???? should be. Ill need to get a new press tester of course.

Now reasons why the oil consumption, could it be because its a 91 with only 64k miles and a oil ring has collapsed because it sat for weeks at a time??? The previous owner only used it to tow a boat with his camper on the back.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would seem with that low mileage that the problem would be in a sealing situation somewhere. My factory turbo '94 7.3 sat for years as an orphan because it was in a fire and looked like hell, seems to run great now with no apparent oil consumption (or leaks).

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
On fill up how soon after shut down are you checking the oil? FORD specs say wait 10mins then check. It might be a perfect time to try AutoRx!:dunno

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I've started to take a notice of my oil consumption.... I pulled into the gas station the other day and found me down to the 1/4 mark of the hatched area on the dip stick... Starting to watch the level at every fill up. I also noticed that upon heavy acceleration, it smokes. Up til now I thought it was my inj pump turned to far up, I think I'm over fueling the engine for the stock turbo(high ex temp on heavy up hill accelerations). On a typical gas engine, one can run a compression check dry, then squirt some oil/wd40 and do another test and see the change in pressure. Is this the same on a oil burner???? should be. Ill need to get a new press tester of course.

Now reasons why the oil consumption, could it be because its a 91 with only 64k miles and a oil ring has collapsed because it sat for weeks at a time??? The previous owner only used it to tow a boat with his camper on the back.

mine burns 1 quart every 150 miles, but i think mine is from valve seals, but im not going to change anything till it gets worse then i will decide what i will do to mine, on yours it could be a cylinder messed up, but did the 7.3 have the valve seal problem like 6.9 did? i didnt think the did?

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On fill up how soon after shut down are you checking the oil? FORD specs say wait 10mins then check. It might be a perfect time to try AutoRx!:dunno
well Id say maybe 3 min... Pull into station, shut down... wait for attendent, swipe card, grab wipe, pop hood, pull stick... I didnt know about the 10 min rule, thx
on yours it could be a cylinder messed up, but did the 7.3 have the valve seal problem like 6.9 did? i didnt think the did?
I dont know... But Id say not... typically on a leaky valve stem seal, you get smoke only on the start up... after the engine is started the oil leak is sooo minimal that you wont really notice it. If a steam seal leaks that bad, better have a reserve oil tank mounted like the dry sump systems... LOL

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
well Id say maybe 3 min... Pull into station, shut down... wait for attendent, swipe card, grab wipe, pop hood, pull stick... I didnt know about the 10 min rule, thx
I dont know... But Id say not... typically on a leaky valve stem seal, you get smoke only on the start up... after the engine is started the oil leak is sooo minimal that you wont really notice it. If a steam seal leaks that bad, better have a reserve oil tank mounted like the dry sump systems... LOL

LOL, i really have no idea were mine is burning oil, my engine just rolled over to 99,000 miles and has no leaks anywere, so oil is going somewere in mine but who knows, i hope you get yours fixed man,

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Don't use WD40 for a compression test. Run the motor for just a few minutes before you test it. That way the rings will have the oil on them. WD40 is used as a starting fluid and your motor may try to start when cranking. If you are doing a comp test remove all the glow plugs. That way the motor will crank faster and the starter wont get hot. Also there will be lots of air blowing out the open plug holes so be careful of the blast.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

If you don't wait long enough for all the oil to drain down and take a reading on the dipstick, it will look WAY lower than it actually is and then if you top it off from there, it will very quickly burn off the excess. Alternatively, if you check the oil cold and top it, same thing will happen as the oil when cold will read down on the stick when it is really full when checked hot as it should be.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If you don't wait long enough for all the oil to drain down and take a reading on the dipstick, it will look WAY lower than it actually is and then if you top it off from there, it will very quickly burn off the excess. Alternatively, if you check the oil cold and top it, same thing will happen as the oil when cold will read down on the stick when it is really full when checked hot as it should be.

I think that is why they say 10 min, i think if you check it cold, then hot right after shut down, then 10 mins after you will see 3 different ranges. And get to know these 3 readings will help you notice any changes. Is not the hash marks area equal to 2 qts? :dunno I leave mine in the marks 1/4 to 1/2 most of the time. I don't worry till it gets to the bottom of the area.:sly

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Hatch marks equals two quarts. Takes the oil quite a bit of time to drain down so thats probably why it showing low. Its fine to be between the full and low marks. So long as you not having to constantly add oil to keep that mark on the dipstick you should be good.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't use WD40 for a compression test. WD40 is used as a starting fluid and your motor may try to start when cranking.
Good thought, forgot about that on a Diesel... Gasers never care.
Also there will be lots of air blowing out the open plug holes so be careful of the blast.
Ahhh yes it will, thanks for the tip, I would have found out the hard way.
I know you all say that... but its still about the same cold (set for 4hr) or hot (stopped at a fuel station)... I did notice today that the CDR that I relocated to the primary valve cover during the turbo install has quite a bit of leakage... No drips, but the valve cover has a layer of oil that dirt is collecting to. I need to cure this... New grommet during turbo install, but the fit isn't what I like.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is the engine has never seen enough load to properly seat the rings, now that the turbo is sucking on the cdr harder it may be pulling enough oil mist to have consumption.
Just an educated guess.
I check oil when cold. best overall accuracy.Then you know there is enough in the crankcase to do the job
Hook onto a big load and run a couple tanks of fuel thru it, I bet that would help.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I think that is why they say 10 min, i think if you check it cold, then hot right after shut down, then 10 mins after you will see 3 different ranges. And get to know these 3 readings will help you notice any changes. Is not the hash marks area equal to 2 qts? :dunno I leave mine in the marks 1/4 to 1/2 most of the time. I don't worry till it gets to the bottom of the area.:sly

How are you going to see different readings between a cold engine and a engine that has been shut off for 10 min?