Bullnose Intercooler?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beats me running around for a few weeks with mine in the window until I could figure out a way to mount it LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Beats me running around for a few weeks with mine in the window until I could figure out a way to mount it LOL
Sometimes the cops don't have much of a sense of humor when they can't see it from the driver's seat of their police car. I didn't have the guts to tell him that you could see it from the passenger's side just fine. As it was, I got away with a "move it as soon as you get home".

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the cops don't have much of a sense of humor when they can't see it from the driver's seat of their police car. I didn't have the guts to tell him that you could see it from the passenger's side just fine. As it was, I got away with a "move it as soon as you get home".

I haven't had any trouble with my other truck running it behind the vanity plate, but I keep a screwdriver in the truck just in case I get the one guy who's ornery.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a modified factory grille or custom grille a 33x12x3” intercooler fits fine in a bullnose. This isn’t a great picture or example, but it shows where to place it to keep the hood latch functional. This truck is using a modified gasser core support as well, swapping to serpentine belts helps a ton with piping especially if you plan on keeping ac. Make sure you get a serpentine setup with the closed tensioner, not the early open spring tensioner which are not as reliable. Ditching the factory fuel filter bracket is necessary if you are keeping the ac as well, but the intercooler will fit with the factory condenser in place.

You must be registered for see images attach
Hey. I know that truck lol. Thanks for the advice Wes!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would converting to the serpentine belt system help resolve that because of a narrower package of pulleys and single belt?
The issue is room in front of the radiator on the '83-86 rigs. There is plenty of clearance to move the radiator back a bit with either V-belt or serp. The serp setup just exchanges all the belts for just one single belt. The radiator fan is still in the same spot which is the limit for moving the radiator back, not pulleys.

The power steering pump/pulley wasn't a clearance issue for me.

Heath

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the answer I was looking for. Doing a bullnose clip swap on my 96 psd and wondered if an IC from a 99 SD could be made to fit. Definitely less headaches if I keep to stage 1.5 and don’t need the IC.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the answer I was looking for. Doing a bullnose clip swap on my 96 psd and wondered if an IC from a 99 SD could be made to fit. Definitely less headaches if I keep to stage 1.5 and don’t need the IC.
I still haven’t intercooled mine but I’m not at the point (I’m sure others agree) that an intercooler is super necessary

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still haven’t intercooled mine but I’m not at the point (I’m sure others agree) that an intercooler is super necessary
I don't know that I'll need one either. But from what I've read on the PSD forums, I'm better off putting it in if I ever plan on towing. Just to keep the EGT's down.

I have a SD turbo setup that I can swap in all at once if I do it. Just need to do it all at once before I start final paint and welding.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3 points to add to the conversation:

1. Who said anything about necessary? Denser, cooler air = free HP baby!
:peelout

2. See #1
3. 'Nuff said. :joker:

Whenever you do it opt for 2.5" piping, unless you have a monster turbo+fuel. Will be much easier to route and takes up less space under the hood. I used 3" and still wish I hadn't. At least do that on the hot side, but both wouldn't hurt performance any according to some guys around here way better at math and fluid dynamics than myself.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@The_Josh_Bear I’m really annoyed that I haven’t tried to make an intercooler work yet LOL. This truck runs extremely cool with the turbo and 90cc pump. I can floor it all the way up to 75 and barely get over 900 degrees. On hills Ive been able to get close to 1200 empty but that was kinda lugging a little. With an intercooler this thing would Be damn near unstoppable

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online