Bullnose Intercooler?

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '99 IC is 1.5 inches thick if IIRC and that's why I chose that distance to move the rad. I was able to just flip the condenser mounts around and they bolted right up. The lines weren't an issue at all buddy.

Heath

Thanks man this is a ton of help!! I didn’t realize you had done this so I was wondering how hard it was gonna be

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A possible additional concern is replacing auxiliaries. Just did the power steering pump on my 85 and pulling the pulley and installing was already tight. Not sure id thats a concern for you just one thats occurred to me.

that is a valid concern.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is a valid concern.

Would converting to the serpentine belt system help resolve that because of a narrower package of pulleys and single belt?

The '99 IC is 1.5 inches thick if IIRC
Thanks man this is a ton of help!! I didn’t realize you had done this so I was wondering how hard it was gonna be

Not that you plan to go looking for another inter-cooler when you've got one in hand but I've heard it referenced that the inter-cooler for the E-350 vans using a 6.0 had a thinner core reducing the depth needed for mounting behind the grill.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would converting to the serpentine belt system help resolve that because of a narrower package of pulleys and single belt?

Not that you plan to go looking for another inter-cooler when you've got one in hand but I've heard it referenced that the inter-cooler for the E-350 vans using a 6.0 had a thinner core reducing the depth needed for mounting behind the grill.
Hmmm. I didn’t know that

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
On EDIT.... will try to delete these extra pics that got posted???? Hope I can.LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

Will try to post these pics
On my’90 CCDually I mounted a IIRC an EBay ‘97-‘99 PS intercooler. Been bout 10 years & I still trying to get it hooked up.....time (sigh)

Anyway just measured & my IC is nearly 2” thick x32”wide x18” tall. I left the radiator and the rad support alone (as is) left the AC condenser alone.
Left the headlights alone.
Mted the IC in front of the AC condenser.

However I had some black hard poly something that I cut and shaped to fit that I mounted and inserted between the fender and the thingie that runs across below the headlites and below the grill. The thingie that’s got the DIESEL emblem attached to it.

I also rebuilt the mounting stuff to space the grill out about an inch or so.

BTW I was running the original 7.3 turboed with original V belts, now running ‘94 IDIT with serpentine belt. Thought I would mention that because someone was talking about belts earlier.

I also spaced my front bumper and grill guard out a few inches just for my pleasure. Mounted my radiator overflow as well as the wiper reservoir down behind my bumper. Made some room in the compartment engine compartment

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
the thingie that runs across below the headlites and below the grill. The thingie that’s got the DIESEL emblem attached to it.
It's called a filler panel. I know, it's not very descriptive. Brick nose trucks have more room for mounting an intercooler than Bull noses do.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a modified factory grille or custom grille a 33x12x3” intercooler fits fine in a bullnose. This isn’t a great picture or example, but it shows where to place it to keep the hood latch functional. This truck is using a modified gasser core support as well, swapping to serpentine belts helps a ton with piping especially if you plan on keeping ac. Make sure you get a serpentine setup with the closed tensioner, not the early open spring tensioner which are not as reliable. Ditching the factory fuel filter bracket is necessary if you are keeping the ac as well, but the intercooler will fit with the factory condenser in place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online