Build Thread 250 XLT 7.3 IDIT

Natehimself36

Reaction score
I’m starting this build thread a little late. Better late than never i reckon.

This is my 1993 F-250 XLT 7.3IDI. It had 198,*** miles on it when i destroyed the engine. I’m not too sure why the engine did what it did. I thought i detected an extremely light, hard to hear knock for about a year. Sometimes i thought i heard it and sometimes i was convinced it was just diesel noise. There was quite a bit of blow by (enough to blow the cap right off). It would consume 1qt of oil every 1.5 - 2 weeks. I drive 100+ miles every day including most weekends and i haul modest loads fairly often. I was expecting to need to rebuild the truck sometime in the next year or two so it wasn’t a huge surprise.

The Damage : 2 broken rods, 2 ruined pistons, 5 bent pushrods, 2 holes in the block, 2 large holes in the oil pan and one broken heart. I was driving down the highway when i lost one piston. Knocking and power loss, i knew i was in trouble. Minutes later the second one went and she was done fer. I wanted to put a DT-360 or a late 90’s 5.9 12 valve in her. However, i decided to go with a rebuilt IDI. The truck was my grandpas and he loves it to death. To him its the best truck ford ever made. Best motor they ever made and his second favorite diesel motor ever invented. I couldn’t take it out and put a different motor back in. Plus i use this truck for work and lots of driving. I needed it to be a fairly smooth rebuild and have things go together nice.

I bought a new block and took the heads and block to the machinist i know personally and dropped them off. He’s rebuilding the heads and the interior parts. I specified some parts i wanted him to use. Removing coolant plugs, putting in the head studs, using the same springs @Thewespaul used in his shop truck* .
Currently that’s where the motor is. During the down time i ordered up some parts; turbo from Wes, gaskets, new GP harness from Wes, new intake hat from Wes, manual glow plug stuff from eBay, a steering column and some other randoms. More parts are to come.. i also took the E4od out and took it into the shop to get rebuilt.

Now I’m going to keep updating this as i go along and any advice, criticism, comments and questions are appreciated. This is my first diesel rebuild. My grandpa and i are working on it together and its been a fun project for us. Ideally this will be the only long winded post i make but knowing me, it wont be. Here’s a couple pictures i have now. Ill take some of the block, other piston, rods and pushrods soon.

I replaced the steering column but I didn’t take any pictures. Man am i excited to not have a floppy steering wheel though!

You must be registered for see images attach

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you plan to go wild with the boost, high RPMs and a cam I believe the heavy valve springs are unnecessary. I'd save that money for other up grades maybe in the transmission. Otherwise you're on the right track....Good Luck.