BROKEN LIFTER

sassyrel

Reaction score
and--there were two different thickness lifter retainers--uh huh--experience--get the thicker ones--cant tell you know as it was 8 years ago--same thing happened to my brothers truck----and depending on how long you drove it that way-------------if the lobe isnt hurt--you probably dont have very few filings in the oil--but id drop it before you refire the engine--and less than 50 miles of driving do it again---and hope it doesnt stick the pressure relief valve like it did on my brothers-----

snoredog

Reaction score
I am kinda in the same boat only I may not get off quite as easy. Last oil change I pulled a BB sized chunk of metal off the magnetic oil plug. Found another one when i drained the oil to pull the engine apart. Both were buried in metal shavings. I just hope those shavings didn't get into the crank bearings or something gruesome like that. Guess i will know as soon as i get back in town friday

JGALLOWAY

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information,i heard a clicking noise coming from the driver side, thought it was a bad injector, i drove it about 25 mile to get it home, i checked all my injectors and didn't help you could still here the click, why i was doing this the truck change its sound, i have tru duel 4" stacks so you could here it good from the driver side so i pulled the valve cover and the rocker arm was not moving and the push rod was loose that when i decided to check the lifters so it was not ran very long after this happen. i was going to go ahead and change all the lifters and pushrods while i am in there. and the cam if need to don't know if i will get to work on it today having to work late which is fine need the money.

JGALLOWAY

Reaction score
the cam seems to be ok except the lobe is a litle ruff not smooth what do you guys think i need to do change the cam or would it be ok i have not pulled it out so if you think it will be fine i will try it the way it is need suggestions

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can it be smoothed with a little emery cloth work. Any roughness will affect the lifter roller and wear it out quickly and you will be right back into it again. Are you sure that it didn't take off some of the lobe? If you don't think that you can get it as smooth as the other lobes replace the cam.

JGALLOWAY

Reaction score
don't know was getting suggestion before i started pulling the cam out if i pull the cam should i go ahead and replace cam and lifters and pushrods what else should i replace

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would probably be a good idea for the sake of piece of mind. I wouldn't worry to much about replacing the push rods but not being able to see exactly how bad the cam looks it would be best to replace the cam and lifters and be done with it. How do the rocker arms look? Check the rest of the lifter retainers and hold down closely.

JGALLOWAY

Reaction score
i was going to replace all the retainers also were would be the best place to get everything i need and thanks for the information

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here I get most of my parts from Napa or start shopping online. Be careful when you pull the old cam out and installing the new one. You don't want to beat the crap out of the cam bearings, use lots of engine oil installing the new cam and lifters.

JGALLOWAY

Reaction score
thanks i have never change a cam can i pull everything out the front also what about the cam bearings can i change them fron the front will i have to pull my heads for anything?

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget about the cam bearings you can't change them without pulling the engine and having a special tool or taking it to a machine shop. As I said just be careful pulling and installing the cam. Yes the cam comes out the front, you will need to pull the radiator to get enough room. Did you get that service manual yet. It needs to be #1 thing you get. No you don't need to pull the heads.

JGALLOWAY

Reaction score
i have a haynes manual, i was just reading it now is this a good manual or do i need something else i have had this for several years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online