broken crank?

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Im working up an ih logo for the "mural" one upper arm is for my best friend and the other is for my mother and father. Got lots of room left, but I keep getting new ideas

lol

punk

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this thread, I haven't been on in a few days. Yes they can run with a broken crank. Mine did, although I never heard it, but the shop had it running and complained about a "knock". Unfortunately all youtube videos are blocked for me at work so I can't watch the video. I'll check it out at home tonight. The first real clue for me that mine was broken was I could rock the flexplate back and forth slightly with no resistance. Mine was most likely not machined well (by Jasper) the radius' were not good, according to my machinist, and I had a bad harmonic balancer. Mine stopped running at first because the Inj pump shaft broke probably from all the torsional shaking/vibrations...
Hope this helps!!!

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
yep its broke

Travis (partyvan) stopped by tonight on his way back from seattle and since I was in the process of pulling the engine he rolled up his sleeves and lent a hand.

Got it out and on a stand. Looks like Im gonna need a crank for the rebuild, that or pull the good stuff and scrap this one.

Broke just after the number 2 cylinder connecting rod. Not through the journal either, as I would of expected.

Heres a few pics. More to come once the truck is running and I can disassemble the engine and get the crank on the floor.

punk

Attachments

• broken crank.JPG
    broken crank.JPG
    907 KB · Views: 72
  • broken crank2.jpg
    broken crank2.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 64

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW :eek:
I can't be much help on that... Mine was broken at the #4 journal. According to my machinist had started at the radius. It'll be interesting to see when you get the crank out and try to see why it failed. I really think crank failures in these is rare, and at least in my case had something to do with the machining. it's amazing it ran as well as it did!
Here's a picture of mine for comparison:

Attachments

• IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 17

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had brought Todd's crank to the IDI Weekend last year. Lots of foks had a chance to check it out. Todd forgot to mention that his engine had also been in a collision which totalled his truck. My theory is that the crank got slammed, and this led to it's demise.

Dyoung, if you get a Tattoo, I think it should be with a LONGER needle, that goes deeper and faster, in keeping with your legacy. :D

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, Mel's right. Fact is I will never know for sure why it failed. It's really hard to tell. To be accurate the engine was a Jasper with 140k on it. The crank had been turned by Jasper. The truck was in a front end collision about 3 years and 30k miles before the crank broke. The harmonic balancer was bad at the time it failed too. Any of these could have contributed to the crank failure, or maybe more likely a combination of these things.
Anyway, post pictures when you get the crank pulled and keep us posted on what you find!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Hey punk, were you running high boost or anything to help that break or was it all stock?

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
The engine was a core i had on the garage floor for a year before install. I got it from a friend, it came with his truck whem he bought it. He bought the truck and was told the motor in the trucl needed replaced and the one on the bed was a known good. His engine was fine, needed timed and return lines. He gave me the engine as he had no use or room for it. It was bolted to a c6 and was bone stock.

I now know it was a reman from "tam engineering" out of tacoma washington. No external damage. Internals look good. Gotta pop the heads and see what is what.

More pics to follow.

Punk

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I think its awesome. Gonna bolt it on the wall. "Here's the best example I have of why to have your engine rebuilt by a machanist that knows what they are doing"

Im just a little surprised it ran as well as it did. chock one up to the idi getting you home, even with the crank in two pieces.

punk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple things, very possible some form of impact helped it along. Some diesel engine manufacturers will not allow crank grinding.
Also TAM engineering used to build some of the worst junk available, maybe they still do.
The cranks I have seen break, gas or diesel, have all been in a wreck or the engine was dropped, food for thought. Or on vw's they were cheap china crap.

Punk, I have that big Mig so we can fix that.LOL

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen an old(70's) International diesel farm tractor engine break straight across the throw. It ran, but it knocked really loud. The amount of runout on the centerof the pulley has me guessing yours broke right before the second main journal. Let us know the results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online