broken crank?

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
As for anyone that likes rancid (mat j) google "up to no good" rancid video. Watch class at the last quarter or so. Now you know why the right side of my head says " up to no good".

Punk

btw that was a life goal of mine, however dumb that may seem.

*edit*
I meant to say search youtube.

here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSQJE5AGpRg

its at 2 minutes 30 seconds. theres a mug shot for ya!! ;Sweet

Last edited:

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've always believed that lugging an engine will snap a crank, but what's not to lug in an IDI. I simply love hitting 5th before I get halfway down my block. You can practically hear each individual detonation and exhaust pulse and the turbo can't do anything about it. Of course I have always believed that lugging an engine will snap a crank...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i dont know about it breaking cranks but lugging is real bad on an engine

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure does sound like a broken crank... One of our Kubota tractors at work broke it's crank about 2 weeks back, very similar noise, and the flywheel was moving in an eccentric...
This is what I found when I took it apart:
You must be registered for see images attach

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Had a crankshaft break on a 6cyl 238 maxidyne-just made the 2,000,000 without coming out of the chassis. I lost my airpressure -lights went dim. Pulled of the side of the interstate,opened the hood there it sat idling with the fan not turning the altinator was stopped (air compressor was gear driven).I had to look twice-maybe thrice cookoo. I drove it a couple hundred ft to a wide spot and shut her down.Called the home terminal - 4 hrs later a wrecker arrived with my new ride for the week. Later they told me the aircompressor seized breaking the crank. Boy they were good ole engines-I loved the sound of them spooling up under a load.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
One of the guys at the dealership I work at was telling me he see's them all the time (he works at a performance shop on the side, and really has no likes for idi's). He said he has seen them break and brought over and not a single belt or accessory was moving.

I hope to get into it this weekend and see what is up.

I will post pics when I get in there.

punk

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty rare for these engines to have crank problems...

My engine has a wicked vibration above 2500 RPM, I'm just waiting for the ole' crank to let go!

I haven't had a chance to see the video (IT nazis at work have a disliking for youtube) Sorry about your troubles, man!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
If it wasn't missing so bad I would say front bearing, I've seen that cause that kind of movement on gassers, but not the miss.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
From all the years on the boards a broken crank is rather rare. Dont think I've seen more than one or two cases.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty rare for these engines to have crank problems...

My engine has a wicked vibration above 2500 RPM, I'm just waiting for the ole' crank to let go!

I haven't had a chance to see the video (IT nazis at work have a disliking for youtube) Sorry about your troubles, man!

something must be wrong, with yours something out of balance somewere, my engine dont vibrate any from idle-4500

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
something must be wrong, with yours something out of balance somewere, my engine dont vibrate any from idle-4500

Mine's shook like a fat kid on a school bus ever since it was rebuilt.

I've done everything shy of pulling the tranny and I can't find the vibration.

So, I am going to drive it till she blows, then drop in a replacement 6.9 (or who knows, mabey a DT360) :D

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine shaking is one thing. (Q. What was changed when it was rebuilt?) Transient Vibration is another thing all together. Those are the guys that break things.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
thats cool heres one i got
You must be registered for see images attach
it just looked washed out from the light.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
^^^thats awesome! Im going to start filling in the negative space around the flames on my forearms with random artwork from the "rebelious" genre. Punk, hot rod, rockabilly, and wrenching stuff mostly. Got a great artist here locally that is really good, cheap, and has an eye for laying out work so it fits.

I still want the rancid hooligans somewhere...

Punk

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
All this talk about tatoos lol, i have been thinking about it latley and i think im going to get something I-H on both shoulders to start withLOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789