broken crank?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i thought back then your truck had a international re-man in it:confused: im confused LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it looks like it may have been a reman but was ran a long time without an air filter, the cylinders are badly glazed.

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Punk: Its interesting that you say the radius on the rod journal was not as good as it should be, since that was the same comment my machinist said. I can't help but think less than ideal machining had something to do with the break on mine and maybe yours. Not to say there weren't other contributing factors like my front end collision, bad harmonic balancer...
FWIW, I had my block magnafluxed and checked by the machine shop and I'm reusing it, so there's a good chance yours will be good to go also...

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
My grandfather owns a tool and die shop. I more or less grew up in there so I have developed an eye for very marginal differences in machine work. Between that and all the motors I used to build I can safely say that the machining of the crank was at least a contributing (if not the only) factor in this outcome. Its too hard to tell now that its been hammered flat, but I would almost bet there was a hair sized knick at that point in the journal to throw sweep and it was caused by not dressing the stone properly while grinding the crankshaft. I have seen it before and had some SERIOUSLY pissed machinists. When I bring a crank back and tell them to replace it and why they are going too, they get testy. Then I point out there f*&k up and they buy a crank.

Im still gonna call tam and point out my findings and see what they have to say, likely nothing, but I wanna see how they handle it. Lets me know if I should steer clear of anything else they have touched. Oddly enough their website mentions they supply to napa and ford. Thats scary if this is what they put out.

punk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online