Brake Controller question

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never towed more than a single axle non braked trailer, but that's about to change! Truck came with the controller in the pic but its disconnected. Wires cut and taped. So my question is what kind of controller setup is this?

Attachments

• 20150625_095155.jpg
    20150625_095155.jpg
    629.2 KB · Views: 65

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look to see if it has a hard steel brakeline going to it. If it does, it's very old.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet if you look under the hood, the big resistor (a flat plate that looks like it has some springs attached to it) is out there too. That is old. If I remember right, the lever moves when you step on the brakes and to adjust it, you twist the knob. I would get rid of that thing if it were me. They are all solid state now.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Like this one.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a Kelsey-Hayse brake control. There a good controller, but hard to adjust the braking voltage. On a gravel surface at 30 MPH adjust the voltage just so the trailer wheels don't lockup and skid.

The adjusting knob slides the contact up and down on the wire wound resistor, closer to more or less voltage output.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet if you look under the hood, the big resistor (a flat plate that looks like it has some springs attached to it) is out there too. That is old. If I remember right, the lever moves when you step on the brakes and to adjust it, you twist the knob. I would get rid of that thing if it were me. They are all solid state now.

There is no resistor under the hood. I am wondering if the Jamar unit next to the controller in my first pic was an after market replacement for this.

The lever on the controller does in fact move when I apply the brakes.

What would your reason be for getting rid of it? If I reconnect the wiring and it works what's the problem?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: to my post. I should have said to Apply the brakes MANUALLY when setting up at 30 MPH.

I have no idea what a Jamar unit is.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would your reason be for getting rid of it? If I reconnect the wiring and it works what's the problem?
The only problem would be, if for some reason you would loose the truck brakes, you would have no trailer brakes unless applied manually. Example would be a rotted out brake line leak.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remembered, that Jamar unit could be for ABS system.

This old brain computer is getting slower every day. No Virus, just a little Malware.:rotflmao

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A modern unit, being solid state electronic, does not depend on a hydraulic brake line running into the cab. Having a hydraulic brake line inside the cab makes about as much sense as those mechanical oil pressure gauges, which have a pressurized oil line running inside the cab. One false move with a steel-toed boot, and it's not only a hot mess in the cab, but the breeched system is rendered inop.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have asked.
What size and weight of trailer are you gonna pull?

Its my brother in laws. I'm borrowing it. All I know is that it can take 4000lbs and dumps. This is just a one off thing for me. Only reason I'm using it is because the single axle is unavailable. I don't see the point in spending money on a new controller and going through all the hassle of deleting those brake lines for a one off thing. I have been driving with those lines in the cab for 5 years and never had a problem.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive with just a smidge of common sense and you don't even /need/ a brake controller for a 4k trailer. Should you have one? Yes. Is it a have-to? IMO no, again, with a little common sense. Shucks, with my luck these days, the trailer brakes wouldn't be working anyways......

JM2CW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker