Brake Controller question

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So long as you can get it working. If not, the new controllers are stupid simple to install.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive with just a smidge of common sense and you don't even /need/ a brake controller for a 4k trailer. Should you have one? Yes. Is it a have-to? IMO no, again, with a little common sense. Shucks, with my luck these days, the trailer brakes wouldn't be working anyways......

JM2CW

My driving style is totally different when I'm driving the truck compared to my wife's VW TDI. Especially when the beds fully loaded and hauling the little 1 ton maxed out single axle trailer:sly

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So long as you can get it working. If not, the new controllers are stupid simple to install.

I suppose I could just leave the old one intact with the brake lines still attached. (It's been that way since I got it anyway) and just install the SS controller.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I leave the old one in place and just install a new one to the existing wiring I should be good to go?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a quickie install sure. It shouldn't hurt anything so long as you unhook the power wire going to the plug and re-route it to the new controller.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The connection to the trailer plug. There has to be a wire going to the trailer plug from the old controller. Disconnect it and route it to the new one. I'd probably disconnect the power off the old controller too just for good measure.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The connection to the trailer plug. There has to be a wire going to the trailer plug from the old controller.
Yes, that wire is blue and is already disconnected from the old controller.
I'd probably disconnect the power off the old controller too just for good measure.
Actually All electrical connections are disconnected from the old controller.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Reese ones you can buy at a lot of stores aren't terrible especially if you arent using it much.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got an 84 that your going to use to pull the trailer. The 84's don't have the receptacle for the newer controllers that are plug and play. IIRC But you can check if there is, if there is it's under the dash midway, if it's not there it's gonna take some wiring to install a new controller. I was in the RV service business from 89 to 2004, just threw all the info away last week for various brake controllers, just looked and only have the Kelsey Hayes info from 89 to 92 yet, and it's for electronic controllers.
Just hookup what you have and you'll be fine, but be sure you have brake voltage on the blue wire.

What plugin do you have on the back of the truck? 7-way or 6-way?

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online