bought a turbo kit, have a few questions

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
bought a factory turbo kit today! :D does anyone have an install guide and a parts guide for it? i want to double check to make sure i got everything. anything will be a great help. i want to make sure the install goes as smoothly as possible. heres some pics of everything i got.

turbo, intake hat, and crossover pipe/ uppipes?
You must be registered for see images attach

valve cover with cdr, and lower part of the intake box.

exhaust manifold with the y pipe thing, upper intake box.

AM I MISSING ANYTHING? THANKS!! :thumbsup:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
You'll want to get the Banks downpipe, I think it's part 52103, then all you need is a store bought 3" OD pipe with a 30 degree bend.

Are you going to pull the engine?

I installed the engine with the up-pipe on, and the oil return bracket on, then with all the turbo bolts loose and the up-pipe bolts just barely loose, I got it in place and tightened a couple enough to hold the positions, and took it back off and tightened everything on the turbo.

If you can get the fitting off the turbo engine you can use the factory oil supply line. The turbo block has a larger thread but with the combination of the turbo block fitting and the N/A block fitting I was able to use the factory line and then I was able to put the oil pressure sender in the other side of the turbo center housing and I didn't even have to extend the wire. Some of the senders are a different length though. Some like to make there own line and go to a larger oil port on the side of the block, since the N/A block has smaller threads, but I found the pinhole in the fitting to be the restrictive factor, so I'm not concerned about the thread size of the fitting if it's just gonna have a pinhole in it.

I couldn't get the up-pipe back out once it was all in, so I'm not sure how you get it in with out removing the engine. I didn't beat the fire wall quite enough before dropping the engine in, but it worked out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You do not need the passenger side exhaust manifold but its fine to keep as a spare... No idea why the seller felt that was part of the turbo kit. About the most important thing I can think of is the oil feed line fitting. The turbo blocks had a 1/4 inch pipe thread fitting and the non turbo blocks have the 1/8 inch pipe thread fitting. Check this out before you install the turbo. There is very little room to work on the back of the engines where the oil feed line fits the factory trubos. It goes where the non turbo oil pressure sender is located...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean the oil passage before install.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys! What about the grommets? Is there any I need?

Good luck on that, there are some who have found a setup that works fo rthe drain.

I am getting bids on making them sivnce Ford and ats have none.

Supposedly ATS has a "kit" that has all soft parts.

I have orings on hand for the pedestal to turbo and to manifold. Orings for the snail are on order.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Good luck on that, there are some who have found a setup that works fo rthe drain.

I am getting bids on making them sivnce Ford and ats have none.

Supposedly ATS has a "kit" that has all soft parts.

I have orings on hand for the pedestal to turbo and to manifold. Orings for the snail are on order.

im kinda lost LOL. exactly which ones do you have? i seen the ats kit but was kinda weary about it because they dont even carry our turbo kits any more.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Couple more thoughts I had that might help:

Might be worth running a line from which ever oil port you choose to use to say the CDR valley pain drain with some seafoam in your engine to clean the passage, before you convert the N/A engine.

Also, I couldn't find a point where I felt like the comp wheel housing and the intake hate were mating good unless they were mated closely enough that I then couldn't get the intake hat back off to seal it with some silicone or something. The real problem for install though, is that you may not be able to get the intake hat on, once the turbo is on, depending on how you have the turbo parts, once tightened together. So I had to install the whole turbo and intake hat together, before the final tightening.

Anyway, I'm on the edge or my seat.;Sweet

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Intake hat is attached to the turbo still so I'm not gonna gonna pull em apart. Hopefully it will be pretty straight forward. I'm gonna change the oil in the truck after I drive it for a day or so with the turbo. Just to make sure that anything in the turbo that comes out is out. Is there anyway to prime the turbo? Really hate to screw it up over something simple.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Wherever you tap the block to get oil, take a small bore cleaner, and clean the ******* out of it. Russ and I have seen first hand what it does. Back of the block will collect sludge, and if it gets sucked into the turbo its a goner.

You have the up-pipe laying around somewhere?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
The up-pipe is still connected to turbo unless I'm missing something. According to my ats parts list I've got everything. Got me a cdr hose today along with some stuff to try to make an oil grommet. Went and picked up some fuel hose also to mess with an intake hat seal. Gotta tub laying in the floor with all the parts I'm collecting. Started pb blastering The y pipe collector bolts so hopefully they won't break. If it ever quits raining im gonna spray the manifold to exhaust bolts on the truck so that they come out easily.

WILL IT HURT ANYTHING TO REMOVE THE MESH SCREEN FROM THE INTAKE? ITS ALL BENT OUT OF SHAPE AND THE OUTER RING IS MISSING.