boost related ticking?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s odd. Could be an exhaust leak but it’s weird that it really only makes the noise when the engine is under load. Seems like when it downshifts it quiets way down. Could it be a fuel knock? You don’t hear anything out the intake or exhaust do you?

Hell I thought mine was going to blow up for sure for the last year. At 10k miles, it sounds different than it did. It’s quieter.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pulled other valve cover. cant feel any play in the valves but the cover had way more sludge then the other.

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That kinda looks like tell tale signs of valve guide wear to my highly uneducated eyeballs.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When really, really worn, you can hear the chuffing up through the guide. But we are talking 'destroyed guide' level of wear. Like 1/16" of clearance level.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If the guides were that bad, you should see sooty looking stuff from the hot combustion gasses burning oil as it gets blown by the valve. The way I'm seeing it, that doesn't look like soot.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me worn guides would make more noise under boost for what that’s worth.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a pretty typical for an exhaust valve with issues, could be the guide was originally too tight and wore out prematurely, the lack of lubrication could make for a cracked exhaust valve that you’re hearing.

ARP instructions calls for 125 ft lbs, so 100ft lbs isnt going to move anything. I would do a warm retorque set to 135 ft lbs, I’ve done 150ft lbs without issue and minimal stretch.