boost related ticking?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i hauled another load to the scrap yard yesterday with total towing weight of 10,000 lbs.

right around 2k rpm at like 10 psi of boost i get a very violent fast ticking noise. if i get the revs up with same or more boost its not nearly as bad but still audible. almost sounds like pre detonation on a gas job. i can free rev the engine and cant hear it at all. i can drive down flat highway and hear nothing until you give it some fuel and it sounds like its gonna blow up.

what yall think? maybe fuel injector or valve train related?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s an odd one. Simplest thing I can think to check is for any boost leaks. I’ve a boost leak make some odd sounds at certain rpms. A video so we could hear what you’re heading would help too

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s an odd one. Simplest thing I can think to check is for any boost leaks. I’ve a boost leak make some odd sounds at certain rpms. A video so we could hear what you’re heading would help too

i can check that. i can rev it to 3k with easily 20 psi of boost and its half or less then what it makes at 2k and 10 psi.

i have two more cars to haul and ill see if i can get a vid.

to add its really a pretty loud sound to hear over everything.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I ran my truck up a large hill at wot the first time after doing my smf conversion my flywheel "pulled in" the inspection plate 1/64 or whatever it needed to make an awful ticking noise.. I think your in an auto but is there any chance your flex plate is ticking against something and only does it when the engine is flexing under a bigger load?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I ran my truck up a large hill at wot the first time after doing my smf conversion my flywheel "pulled in" the inspection plate 1/64 or whatever it needed to make an awful ticking noise.. I think your in an auto but is there any chance your flex plate is ticking against something and only does it when the engine is flexing under a bigger load?

hmm possibly. ill have to check. seems to sound higher up but who knows.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my recent factory-turbo installation has a small leak at the infamous slip joint... Exhaust leaks have a very distinctive "spitting" sound, generally not metallic or ringing, due to the fast rise of the pressure pulse. Can you record the noise?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
real hard to pin point over the web but Brian might be onto something. could an accessory belts be bumping a bracket or anything if the motor mounts are under load?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something getting into the cab when the engine torques up from the load??

Did you put fresh motor and trans mounts when you put it back together.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Does it sound like this?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Lots of good ideas so far, but im gonna go with exhaust manifold leak. In just the right spot where it only makes itself known with all the turbo back pressure.

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The video sounds like an exhaust leak. Bit a ticking noise under boost and RPMs on the top end, could be a week valve spring? Boost holding open an intake valve slightly?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
an update.. i was able to get some video footage. im hoping y'all can hear it ok.