Bodylift help

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided I want a 2" body lift. My front body mount is pretty much gone so I'm wondering if buying a body lift "kit" will remedy my problem. A single mount is $133can. from the dealer and the lift kit is $217can. (Unless anyone knows a cheaper kit) I've searched for a write up on doing it but can't find anything. Anyone have any experience?

Thanks guys

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A store-bought kit won't remedy your problem, but it will give you a good reason to go ahead and fix it.

I have two-inches under mine and everything about working under the hood or under the truck is WAY easier. :thumbsup:

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the body lift kits do is put spacers between the body of the truck and the body bushings. they will do nothing but put more load on the mounts. putting the weight of the body farther away from the mounts puts more torque on them. and this can lead to body-frame separating in a crash. it will also hasten the demise of weak mounts.

if you wanna run 42's get the cutout flares.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What can I do to remedy this mount. I really don't wanna spend $133 for one piece of rubber

Is it just the rubber cab-mount cushions ??

If so, complete sets can be had for very little expense, even urethane ones.

There are two weird ones on the very front that have a threaded center and are a -cuss to get out/loose.

There is absolutely no need for that threaded center, other than when on the assembly-line.

It has been a while, but I believe I drilled out those threads so a bolt would go straight through.

I have had zero issues with the spacer-type lift; but, when time allows, I am going to actually remove the cab-mount pedestals from the frame and re-work them to be a LOT higher than the factory position, thus negating the need for the spacers.

If I get it up there high enough, I may even put a set of saddle-tanks under the doors. :thumbsup:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can get a set of urethane body mounts. they are much cheaper and more rigid .You can make a 1" body lift out of hockey pucks, works great, if you try to do 2" lift kit on a diesel, you will have to do firewall mods, the 2" lift kits say, not for diesel right on them.

Are you trying to get that thing to where the dog can chase a frisbie under it without having to duck?

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHA he doesn't really have to duck now. I am somewhat limited to what my suspension is at now due to my steering setup...I'll post pictures later. I trashed my fenders the other day So I'd like a bit more clearance. Although I think I could get away with running 42s with a 2"body and a 1" suspension lift in the front so it rides buck

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
, if you try to do 2" lift kit on a diesel, you will have to do firewall mods, the 2" lift kits say, not for diesel right on them.

It is the THREE-INCH spacers that cause the engine to contact the firewall.

The TWO-INCH work fine.

I done been there and done that.

Of course, all that only applies only for the V-block engines; the inline Cummins has no issues whatsoever. ;Really

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have to do anything with the steering shaft with 2"?

Yes; it is highly advisable to replace the stock unit with either a Borgeson or Flaming River.

When you get the stock shaft out and lay it beside the :backoff Borgeson, you will wonder how on earth you held it between the ditches as long as you have.

With two-inches, the stock shaft is scary-close to being too short.

With three-inches, it is only holding by a thread; the least little twist and it would separate. :eek:

If you ain't already up-graded the shaft, you need to anyway, whether you lift it or no. ;Sweet

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o you're bushings are shot. go look up energy suspension. they sell the most complete and most commonly used kits.

if you already screwed up the fenders now is a perfect time to cut um up.;Poke