Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Hey guys,

I started working on freshening up the Slug for winter.

I am installing a Fisher plow frame for my 8' 6" speedcast plow.

Also installing new, heavy duty leaf springs with new poly bushings and hangars.

Also installing new extra heavy duty shocks.

I torched the old, rusted leaf spring hangars off and scrubbed the frame down to clean metal, then sprayed on a couple coats of rust reformer followed by a zinc primer, bumper paint, and satin clear coat.

My new front leaves have new poly bushings and hardware and a similar paint job. They should lift the nose of the truck about 1in. New u bolts as well. Also fabricated new shock mounts.

I noticed that my front driver side body mount is rotted to **** and the bushing is shot. I was wondering if there is a source for new radiator support mounts, the only ones I have been able to find are rather expensive (122$ each). At that price, I would be better off building my own.

Last edited:

ISPKI

Reaction score
DERP, sorry, I hit "tab" and it posted. See the edit! i'll have pictures in a min.

ISPKI

Reaction score

That is exactly what I was trying to find. Thank you.

I finished the driver side, ended up having to remove the bottom spacer plates unfortunately, the stack was just too tall to line up. Everything cleaned up rather nicely. I spread a layer of tar between everything that clamps onto the frame as a rust repellent.

Torched off the driver side in about 30 minutes.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Driver side leaves proved to be too tall. Had to remove the bottom load spring and spacer block under it. Didnt lose any spring weight but it seems that the truck will definitely be sitting higher than it was with the blown factory springs.

Quick update: Finished the passenger side and started mounting up the rest of my plow setup. Rather pleased with how its going so far, passenger side was much easier to assemble than the driver side since I learned how to handle everything the first time around.

Found that my plow frame cross bar was about 1in short of mating with the push plates - push plates probably arent totally straight. All the folks on the plow forum im on said to buy a different plow frame but being that I am a welder with plenty of material and equipment, I decided to just lengthen the cross frame by welding on .5in thick plates to either end of it. Came out pretty good but it was alot of welding.

Passenger side Brakes were completely toast so I will be rebuilding that side - new caliper, lines, rotor, pads, pins, hardware, bearings, grease, etc.

ISPKI

Reaction score

ISPKI

Reaction score
Took a bunch of welding but its almost there. Going to mount hydraulics tonight.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Rolled the truck out of the shop this weekend. Finished rebuilding the Passenger side wheel hub and brakes. Ended up installing a new caliper, pads, rotor, brake soft line, studs, bearings, grease seal, grease - lots of grease.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i like the crane lift you have in the back. as a fellow wood burner i am starting to find mine invaluable to help save my body from the wear and tear. i am looking to add one to my splitter to.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Cool Honda, I see that you're windshield wipers have the super aerodynamic race mode.

Haha, yep. Little prank my buddy pulled while I was building my flatbed. I have a new wiper motor and switch, just havent installed it yet.

ISPKI

Reaction score
i like the crane lift you have in the back. as a fellow wood burner i am starting to find mine invaluable to help save my body from the wear and tear. i am looking to add one to my splitter to.

It was one of the best insurance policies I ever made. 20$ for the crane that didnt hold pressure. 95$ for a 1ton warn winch. Rebuilt the crane and built a mount for it (3/8" wall thick tubing). That thing has saved my back several times over in the last couple years. I actually picked up a complete 8'6" V-Plow with the thing. Its slow but it works great.