Body shifted?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger door hits fender, ever since wheeling a while ago. Im betting the body mounts are shot and the cab shifted a hair? Door is all bent to hell after somebody forced it open

Planning on getting some red polyurethane mounts anyway but thought id ask if that was the likely scenario

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that happen...first on my passenger's door, and now on my driver's door. Body mounts are compressed way too much and need to be replaced on mine, and I'll bet that that's the case with yours as well.

Tried shimming the fender to compensate, and that only lasted a week or so...

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Core support shifted. Cab has 4 mounts and is rigid. Core support only has 2 and is very flexible

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened to me: I had this terrible banging on a 1980 f150 I used to have, the door would bang in the door jamb when it was closed. Never did do anything about it until I went to replace some of the frame crossmembers with good junkyard crossmembers. When I took the crossmember out that held the rear of the cab up, there was a large hole right under the rubber donut of the cab mount. No way to know this. Maybe you can figure it out with a pry bar to pry up near the mount. But it rusted a perfect round hole right under the rubber. The kicker was the "good" crossmember from the junkyard(it was in perfect shape looking at it) had the same problem, and it was a much later model truck. So I had to weld a plate across the hole and re-drill it for the bolt.

I did all this to repair the crossmembers, but I noticed after I got it back on the road, no more banging door when going over bumps.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Core support shifted. Cab has 4 mounts and is rigid. Core support only has 2 and is very flexible
I've been told by somebody who knows far more than I do about bodywork that the rubber on these cab mounts are trashed... :dunno

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes those are toast. You should change then in your spare time.LOL

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look similar or better than mine. Core support was off a couple weeks ago and having it off didnt change anything. Fender still kissed door. Now i got a big bent door where they were meeting, yay. Still hit too so i took a hammer and undented it some. Still giant but it opens now. Gotta get new mounts and maybe new door

Thanks for input

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did the door and and fender kiss the most?as old as these trucks are,the fiber shims used on the top 2 fender bolts by the hood spring could be junk.this is usually the cause of a loud pop going slow over uneven surfaces.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all along the main door/fender gap, the metal edges were hitting into each other. I will try to snap a picture

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like either the cab twisted or the core support twisted. There's enough room in the body mounts to move a good bit. You should be able to tell by looking at the gap between the bed and cab. If that gap has changed or is uneven side to side, cab moved. If not, probably the core support. My 2 cents.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
All my body lines are off. I mean all! The bed is a lil off to but there is very lil rust. I'm starting to think the bed is different. I see brown primer on bed and silver on cab and white on doors lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk