body lift

Exekiel69

Reaction score
here is one. How much work/time is involved on doing this? Is it easier/better to do a frame lift (?)?

Thank you.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
yeah i have looked into doing one of those too, but i never have because they have always said that they dont fit the diesel application? anyone know why that would be?

rubberfish

Reaction score
My last truck, same as the one I have now had that exact kit.
I wondered about the "not for diesel" thing too.
So I bought the kit and figured I'd deal with whatever
diesel trouble I came up against. I had no troubles at all.
I'm thinking it may be related to cooling issues, and I
had none of those either. My suggestion is, if you want
a body-lift? Go for it. Mine was a piece of cake. Although,
I did mine in a shop with overhead hoists and **** so it
was easy. Took two of us less than 8 hrs, including
sweeping up about a 1/2 a wheelbarrow worth of mud. LOL

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
EZ a body lift takes about 1 day to install a frame lift will take around 2 days. I did a body lift in one day by myself, the frame lift I did took 3 days but only two days of actual work because of missing parts (they forgot to ship one spring eye bushing).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a 2" body lift on the Moose Stang and a 4" suspension lift on the Moose Truck. Each type of lift surved a specific purpose in my case. The Moose Truck recieved a suspension lift, because it was (at the time) concieved that I might go 4 wheeling with it. I wanted increased incline departure angles, and better ground clearance. Definitely more work than a body lift. The body lift on the Moose Stang was primarily to facilitate the side pipes that I wanted to do without sacrificing ground clearance. I also considered it good insurance for the diesel conversion. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GAS AND DIESEL BODY LIFTS regardless of what the manufacturers say. If they are worried about the extra weight of the radiator support, I say it is not warranted. The body lift components are just big chunks of plastic. You could always swap them out with some alluminum billets if they ever gave you any trouble. In fact, once you buy a body lift, you'll be thinking.... Heck. I could have made these myself. The biggest pain about the body lift is just taking out the interior rug or matt to gain access to the body mount recess. I would classify a body lift as very easy if none of the fasteners fight you. However, I've yet to meet a fastener that didn't take a union stance when asked to leave the job. LOL For your truck EZ, a body lift is really the best option, as they do not make 2WD suspension lifts for our truck. However, parts from a 4WD Bronco or F-150 suspension lift could be used, with minimal fabrication, but it would be expensive since many of the parts would not be used, and you'd still have to get your own coil springs made. For the time and effort involved in the body lift, it's advisable to invest in a set of poly body mount bushings to compliment the install, and provide years of trouble free service.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Agnem said:
THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GAS AND DIESEL BODY LIFTS regardless of what the manufacturers say.

I thought the issue between gas and diesel was w/ the fan shroud clearence after you lift the core support. IIRC, a member had to "tweak" the opening in the shroud to clear the fan.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a body lift in a '83 F150 that I had many moons ago and I do remember it being very very easy. Had to weld up a rod for the steering if'n I remember correctly but that was it.
Hey EZ is this for your dually? Just wondering why you'd want to lift it up?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
I thought the issue between gas and diesel was w/ the fan shroud clearence after you lift the core support. IIRC, a member had to "tweak" the opening in the shroud to clear the fan.
I'm with Joe on this one.
Mel, What type of clearance issue/solution did ya end up with on the fan shroud on the Moostang?
Granted different body styles. Apples and Oranges I know. cookoo
There's not too much clearance between the fan & shroud IIRC.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One important thing with body lifts is the bed. You only get spacers for where the bed bolts go through. This leaves the bed cross members that are not bolted unsupported, as they just sit on top of the frame. Once you lift the bed, those crossmembers are up in the air.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
"what fan shroud?"

:rotflmao i could see that producing a memorable experience :D
be one of those things that only happens once.

so how would one correct the crossmember issue? any detrimental effects if i am putting in a gooseneck in the future?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
ericboutin said:
I put a body lift in a '83 F150 that I had many moons ago and I do remember it being very very easy. Had to weld up a rod for the steering if'n I remember correctly but that was it.
Hey EZ is this for your dually? Just wondering why you'd want to lift it up?

Yes.
I have to put the truck over jack stands yesterday and when I got next to it and look towards the front of the truck it was very attractive. I have to think what to do about te bed since I use it to load an extra cube of brick along the ones on the trailer many times.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
EvergreenRanch said:
"what fan shroud?"

:rotflmao i could see that producing a memorable experience :D
be one of those things that only happens once.

so how would one correct the crossmember issue? any detrimental effects if i am putting in a gooseneck in the future?

:eek:
I concur!

The Ranger in my garage has a 3" body lift on it to accomodate the V-8 conversion I did a few years back.
I cannot remember what brand the kit was but it had the spacers in the kit that compensated for the crossmember strength issue.

They just welded to the frame in the appropriate areas. ;Sweet

If not included in a kit, it would not take much to get some stock to make up yer own. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle