blown HG?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for some that know i have a coolant system from a PSD in my truck. lately i have been having a problem with the degas bottle over flowing and its completely erratic on its level. got some pictures for yall to look at. bottle was at its normal level when i left and i took a couple mile trip on the highway. this is what happened.

basically puked coolant all over the place. not sure how much. coolant is clean but system gains pressure within a minute of running. the ticking is getting worse btw.

i have almost a 2,000 mile trip in a week so trying to decide whats gonna happen. i might be in a dodge lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
more

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Test your degas cap, they are pretty failure prone, if it’s good then I would say you have a slightly blown hg that is just pushing combustion into the coolant when under high load/boost. I’ve had this happen on trucks pushing the limits of stock head bolts at 15 psi, retorqued the head bolts and never had a problem again.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did studs not long ago. when i shut the truck off i can hear the cap venting. its not an old cap but ill get a new one and try it. the hose does feel extremely hard.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i put a new cap on, seemed about the same. before i drove it last night i filled it to the bottom line and did a few good pulls and when i checked it still seemed to push out coolant. i have to wash everything so i can tell whats fresh. this morning the level was at the top line and the system still had pressure in it. higher rpm/boost is when it happens.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this issue on my 12v. It's most likely a head gasket issue, compression is just slipping by and blowing into a coolant port. Mine would stay pressurized for 2-3 days after as well, and literally explode with coolant if you popped the cap.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried retorquing the head studs yet? Worth a shot...

not yet. im pulling the other valve cover later today to check things out and gonna do that.

im pretty doubtful. id be driving almost 2,000 miles with 3 bikes on the bed. not just rips around town.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats where I was getting with it, studs or bolts a warm retorque can do a lot for a slightly leaking head gasket.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i ran the truck earlier today just on high idle and idle. once the temp got slightly warmer the level was half in the bottle and the coolant would rise to the top of the bottle until i squeeze the upper hose and then it would go back down to its proper level. it would repeatedly do that until the cap was put on. my friend gave me a HG leak detector but the fluid was for gas engines but there was constant bubbles showing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86