blown front diff

goldsjos18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im hearing a bunch of clunking and grinding from up front so i know i have some issues up their my next question can i pull that third member type pumpkin and pull the shafts and pop the u joints out of the far out side and put the out side splined shaft back in to keep dust out the lock outs and wheel bearings or is their not a lock ring or nut that holds the axel shaft in place? would it just fall out ? basically im trying to make this truck run and drive till im done rebuilding my dana 60 to slap under it instead of this twin I beam

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um... unlock hubs, place in two wheel drive? Nothing should be spinning.
Check that each axle shaft spins freely and the driveshaft as well.

Skii

Reaction score
These twin I beams suck...from what I remember when I put new u joints in the axles will pull right out. They are a pain in the ass to get to (between the kings) I think I had to take my whole wheel ends off just to be able to remove the axle. Food for thought

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These twin I beams suck...from what I remember when I put new u joints in the axles will pull right out. They are a pain in the ass to get to (between the kings) I think I had to take my whole wheel ends off just to be able to remove the axle. Food for thought
Yes you do. Without tools, its a pain to do. If you have the tools to do it(proper 4wd socket, allen, pick, pliers, impact, and 3 jaw puller to pull off the spindle cleanly), it's like half an hour to have the entire wheel end off down to the point of doing U-joints or ball joints.

goldsjos18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well apparently the seal in between the third member and axle housing broke down and I didn’t catch it.... it ran out of oil and I didn’t realize till it was to late spider gear got hot enough that it’s not giving up the shaft I’m planning a Dana 60 swap in the future so last resort is to cut the axle shaft and keep the one that fits in the spindle put said axel housing back in and run with 2WD until Dana 60 is built

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to cut anything or mess with anything? If the hubs are unlocked and transfer case is in 2 wheel drive, NOTHING IS SPINNING~ (Unless your hubs are broken).