Blew up my truck.... Time for a Cummins I think

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Mel,

If you want to see some "self destruction" try an auger boring machine when the machine "hangs up" the auger back lashes the 188,000 ft/lbs of rotational torque after the engine dies.
If you pull the clutch in the process of this, the 60:1 gear box will spin the clutch at several thousand RPM when it disengages. The clutch linings will be found piled in the
bottom of the clutch housing. The operator usually will have to find a job after pulling that stunt.....

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
it runs like a ***** ape.... im not sure which video your watchin but to me it cranks like any 15yr old cummins

it was one were the camera was on a hood of a red vehicle, it just seemed like it would crank better than that:dunno but i havent ever had a ctd so really i wouldnt know

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question for ya duked, did you have problems with teh turbo and teh a/c box as mentioned on fordcummins? i dont know if it applies to your obs the same as my 89 but i was just trying to budget my swap out and was trying to save that money for the suggested manifold if possible. is there any difference in the ford cummins plate vs the destroked plate?

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweeeeeeeet build by the way, i know you dont want to hear this but your alot like me, always gotta be different.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question for ya duked, did you have problems with teh turbo and teh a/c box as mentioned on fordcummins? i dont know if it applies to your obs the same as my 89 but i was just trying to budget my swap out and was trying to save that money for the suggested manifold if possible. is there any difference in the ford cummins plate vs the destroked plate?

ive got a 2in body lift so the turbo clears fine..... i would get a destroked adapter, im sure anyone else who has donea swap would agree

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so... motor, adapter for bell to ZF, and Motor mounts were the only parts you needed to buy?

What if a guy was staying first gen on the donor 5.9, and planned on bolting his NP435 to the back of the Dodge bell.

Read somewhere that first gen Cummins had a divorceable bell.

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got a 2in body lift so the turbo clears fine..... i would get a destroked adapter, im sure anyone else who has donea swap would agree

great info, thanks. im considering a 2" body lift and removing the 4" blocks fr/rr that the p/o put on. im only running 35's so i dont need 4". another ? what gear ratio would you suggest? i seem to think that my 4.10's are a bit too low for highway driving. i wont be towing much and i have a complete 10.25 out back with 3.55's i could regear my front later if need be. im still in the gathering parts stage right now. i have the big money part covered being the engine.

either way, sweet ass rig brother. i love the extra short bed. was that frame an ex cab long bed frame? or an ex cab sb frame?

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great info, thanks. im considering a 2" body lift and removing the 4" blocks fr/rr that the p/o put on. im only running 35's so i dont need 4". another ? what gear ratio would you suggest? i seem to think that my 4.10's are a bit too low for highway driving. i wont be towing much and i have a complete 10.25 out back with 3.55's i could regear my front later if need be. im still in the gathering parts stage right now. i have the big money part covered being the engine.

either way, sweet ass rig brother. i love the extra short bed. was that frame an ex cab long bed frame? or an ex cab sb frame?

id say 3.55s or 3.73s with 35s, anything else... for example 5.13s and 36s is just nutsLOL

its on a reg cab longbed frame

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok cool. i ordered the motor mounts from ford cummins today. im going to wait a few weeks on the adaptor.

for the alternator bracket. i dont have the dodge alt. i have a 3g on my idi with the dual v belt pulley. will that particular alternator bolt up? i am missing some of the acc. and i believe the belt tensioner. hers a pic of the front part of the engine.

You must be registered for see images

what am i missing? do you know of a similar pic with everything in tact that i coudl use for ref. that is a 95 from a dodge 2500.

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what intercooler did you use darrin? is that the 91-93 dodge factor ic?

bad as truck too. im doing it on the same year truck so im sure ill bug ya a bit.

i was going to try to keep the acc drive setup pretty much as stock as possible but i will have to figure out the a/c part. i guess i could search around for everything. i think figuring out the belt setup and the ic piping/ mounting appears to be the hardest part. everything else looks pretty simple. ill take you up on that tensioner. pm me a price and i can pay pal ya.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online