Blackstone Lab Oil Analysis!

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick background of engine life or results mean nothing. Beginning of oil sample was at 125,000 miles. Engine had new rings at 94,000 and a head gasket replacement and minor other stuff before I ever owned it. Had paperwork to prove it when I bought it with great compression numbers. At 105,000 I started instead of using a FL1995 filter alone, using a Fleetguard stratapore LF-3974 filter which is slightly bigger and has way better filtration specs. It can be had for 25$ as well. https://puredieselpower.com/ford/94...-fleetguard-lf3974-stratapore-oil-filter.html

I also put a Baldwin bypass filter on from my turbo oil supply using a B-164 bypass filter with an additional .060 turbo restrictor and fed it right back into the oil filler cap with a threaded cap.

I did plenty of other engine stuff with timing and a banks power pack and electric fuel pump but nothing really relevant to my oil samples. I have had a coolant filter since I got the truck with about 102k on it [first real upgrade I did] but as your about to see there's no water in the coolant anyways..

You must be registered for see images attach

Very happy. They even told me to try 7500 miles [I only pushed to 6500 before sending the sample in case it was trashed].

My only reservation is as I told them in the notes I know I added at least 3 quarts of oil during the 6500, but it may have been closer to 3 1/2. It likes to drink the synthetic rotella or any rotella.

I switched to regular Delo at the oil change I sent this at and it hasn't drank one drop. And my "wet but not dripping oil" under carriage has totally dried up. I might try synthetic Delo for 6500 and send them another sample. I think I'd be scared to leave regular Delo in for 6500. The only way this saves me money is if I'm not adding 3-4 quarts as I go, so clean or not [even though it's sole purpose wasn't saving money] I guess I need to try this with non-idi hungry rotella to validate it being cost effective.

I'm not trying to start the does using a bypass filter save money convo cause that can go 28 different ways. I just like only having to change the oil in this 2-3 times a year and know I have good clean oil. If that means paying 25$ for a LF-3974 and 13$ for a B164 Bypass filter instead of just 10$ for a FL1995 so be it. Heck, even if all I'm doing is breaking even with the 30$ more I'm spending to go an extra 3000 ish miles, if that gets me out of changing oil in my driveway in February when it's -4 Fahrenheit outside, I'll take it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome results! Do you have any fitment issues with that fleetguard filter? And what filter head are you using for you bypass system?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fits fine. It's only 3/4 of an inch taller and goes right on the factory threads. I sprayed brake cleaner on that one to get some oil off it from overfilling the filter before I put it on and all the markings came off of it, but I can assure you that's what it is.

I am rear wheel drive not 4x4 though so I don't know if that changes anything for the 4x4 folks.

The filter base I used was a Baldwin OB-1308 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009...ilter+base&dpPl=1&dpID=41iZWbGqZkL&ref=plSrch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online