BILLET ALUMINUM INJECTOR CAP

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be in on a set also. At work we have all the machines, but I don't know how to run them. I work for a hydraulic cylinder manufacturer and we make cylinders all day with aluminum and steel components that have to seal together using o-rings. I'm guessing this will be all right, but agree it needs to be tested. I'll check with the engineers at work and see if we do any special tolerance for Steel to aluminum sealing versus steel to ductile. We are also sealing up to 3,000 PSI where these caps seal what 15PSI at best?

I'd definitely take 2 sets if you made them for the ATS style turbos with the 3 nippled caps and the dead end cap for the turbo area.

If you don't mind checking with your engineers about tolerances that would be great!! I work nights so by the time I get into work our engineers have already left for the day.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never gave any thought about an expansion coefficient. I just measured a few plastic caps and was getting measurements of .628-.633 for the lower o ring and .604-.607 for the upper o ring. The caps I made I went a bit smaller if that was a good idea or not I don't know the lower o ring is .62 and the upper is .597 so mine are about .01 smaller.
Just a thought.
To do a quick expansion and contraction test, put one in the fridge (40*F) and one in the oven (200*F). The contraction is not so important as it would squeeze the O'rings more. The expansion at 200*F would give you an idea if it would be too much before installing them on an engine. If you have a Laser non-contact thermo. measure the temp on one of the injectors after a run.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually tried to get info from a guy over at FTE about a set he made and never got back to me on it. I would definitely buy a set if you end up selling them. My be a good little side project/ money mmaker for you...

Edit: The guy I mentioned from FTE made his out of brass and they do not leak. So if these do not work out that might be a good way to go...

Last edited:

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought.
To do a quick expansion and contraction test, put one in the fridge (40*F) and one in the oven (200*F). The contraction is not so important as it would squeeze the O'rings more. The expansion at 200*F would give you an idea if it would be too much before installing them on an engine. If you have a Laser non-contact thermo. measure the temp on one of the injectors after a run.

put one cap in the oven and one in the freezer 1 hour into the test now. Oven cap is .623 and frezer cap is .619. the control cap sitting on the counter is .62 I will let it cook for a while and check it again.

xcite

Reaction score
If you have the parts around I would check the measurements of the injectors and plasitc caps the same way to compare how much they change as well.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about doing the same test on one of the stock plastic caps to see the amount of expansion/contraction? Not sure what the plastic would do in relation to the aluminum.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about doing the same test on one of the stock plastic caps to see the amount of expansion/contraction? Not sure what the plastic would do in relation to the aluminum.

i will put a plastic one in the oven and freezer now

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I don't care if my return leaks a little. I plugged the line from thriller head to the return simply because I watch leaks and if one springs up I don't want it to invaded my starting ability.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't care if my return leaks a little. I plugged the line from thriller head to the return simply because I watch leaks and if one springs up I don't want it to invaded my starting ability.

What did you plug?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The return line off of the filter head.